Senior FellowEmail: F.O.Montgomery@its.leeds.ac.uk_
- 1973/1978 - Jamieson Mackay & Partners, Glasgow and Bristol.
- 1978 - Chartered Engineer with Tayside Regional Council, Dundee.
- 1979/1983 - Research Officer, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds.
- 1984/1985 - Research Engineer, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok.
- 1985/1992 - Lecturer at ITS/Department of Civil Engineering, University of Leeds.
- Paisley College of Technology, BSc Hons Civil Eng, 1973
- University of Leeds, MSc Transport Planning & Engineering (Distinction), 1979
- Fellow of Institution of Highways and Transportation (1975, 2000)
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (1976)
- CEng, MICE, FIHT
- Committee Member ICE Yorkshire Association Transportation Group (since 1991).
- Nominated Member IHT Council and Education Board (since 2005), Member of Joint Board of Moderators (since 2005).
- UTSG Executive Committee Member (Jan 1991-Dec 1993 and Jan 1997-Dec 1999).
- Instigator and administrator of the UTSG email list (1993 - 2009).
- External Examiner for PhD theses at Universities of Cardiff (1997 and 1999), Middlesex (1996), Napier (1998), Southampton (1996, 2003, 2004 and 2007), Westminster (1995), Newcastle (2004), Imperial (2005 and 2008), KTH Stockholm (2006). External examiner for MSc Transport Engineering and Planning at Salford (2000-2004), and MSc Transportation Planning and Engineering, at Southampton (2008-2012).
- Traffic Management aspects of guided busways
- Effects of rubbernecking on motorway traffic behaviour
- Automatic safety monitoring at Pelicans
- Effect of darkness and rain on roundabout capacity
- Influence of flow variability on evaluation of responsive traffic control systems.
- Car sharing in city centres
- Potential for and effects of work journey rescheduling
- Measuring level and variability of urban congestion, and modelling its causes
- Monitoring effects of parking enforcement in Central London
- Control of congestion in highly saturated signalised networks
- Evaluation of video recognition for number-plate matching
- Rule-based systems for traffic signal design
- AI based systems for traffic control
- Queue management strategies including application of state-space theory
- Synergistic combination of bus priority, traffic calming and queue management techniques
- Speed-flow relationships
- Improved techniques for motorway incident detection.
- Tenekeci G; Montgomery FO; Wainaina S (2010) Roundabout Capacity in Adverse Weather and Light Conditions, Proceedings of the ICE - Transport, 163, pp.29-39. doi: 10.1680/tran.2010.163.1.29
- Tranhuu M; Montgomery F; Timms P (2008) Modeling Bus Lane Priorities in a Motorcycle Environment Using SATURN, Transport Research Record, .
- Wang J; Liu R; Montgomery F (2005) Car-following model for motorway traffic, Transportation Research Record, pp.33-42.
- Malkhamah S; Tight M; Montgomery F (2005) The development of an automatic method of safety monitoring at Pelican crossings, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 37, pp.938-946. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2005.04.012
- Chen H; Grant-Muller S; Mussone L; Montgomery F (2001) A study of hybrid neural network approaches and the effects of missing data on traffic forecasting, Neural Computing and Applications, 10, pp.277-286.
- Liu R; Clark SD; Montgomery FO; Watling DP (1999) Microscopic modelling of traffic management measures for guided bus operation, Proceedings of the 8th World Conference on Transport Research, 2, pp.367-380.
- Chen H; Boyle R; Montgomery FO; Kirby HR (1999) Identifying Motorway Incidents by Novelty Detection, World Transport Policy and Practice , pp.251-263.
- Paksarsawan S; May AD; Montgomery FO (1999) The simulation of variable traffic signal control in the Bangkok network, Transportation Planning and Technology, 22, pp.287-308.
- Fox KA; Clark SD; Boddy RE; Montgomery FO; Bell MC (1998) Some benefits of a SCOOT urban traffic control system: an independent assessment by micro-simulation, Traffic Engineering & Control, 39, pp.484-489.
- Smith WS; Hall FL; Montgomery FO (1996) Comparing the speed-flow relationship for motorways with new data from the M6, Transportation Research. Part A: Policy & Practice, 30, pp.89-101.
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1996) Transferability of priority management techniques for urban arterials, Traffic Engineering & Control, 37, pp.503-509.
- Priyanto S; Montgomery FO (1996) Effects on traffic flow of flashing hazard indicators, Traffic Engineering & Control, 37, pp.686-690.
- Fox KA; Montgomery FO; Shepherd SP; Smith C; Jones S; Biora F (1995) Integrated Strategies for Urban Arterials:DRIVE II Project, PRIMAVERA 2. Bus Priority in SCOOT and SPOT using TIRIS, Traffic Engineering & Control, 36, pp.356-361.
- Hall FL; Montgomery FO (1993) The investigation of an alternative interpretation of the speed-flow relationship for UK motorways, Traffic Engineering & Control, 34, pp.420-425.
- Clark SD; Montgomery FO (1993) PRIMAVERA Project - 'Initial simulation results', Traffic Engineering & Control, II, pp.217-221.
- Bonsall PW; Montgomery FO; Jones CB (1984) Deriving the constancy of traffic flow composition from vehicle registration data, Traffic Engineering & Control, 25, pp.386-391.
- Montgomery FO (1984) Accurate travel times using portable tape recorders, Traffic Engineering & Control, 25, pp.310-313.
- Bielli M; Ambrosino G; Boero M; Dougherty MS; Ibbetson LJ; Kirby HR; Montgomery FO (1994) Artificial Intelligence Applications to Traffic Engineering, VSP Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Liu R; Clark SD; Montgomery FO; Watling DP (1998) Microscopic modelling of traffic management measures for guided bus operation, In: Zhang G (Ed) Theory and Applications of Traffic and Transport Systems Engineering, ASCE Press New York, pp.160-170.
- Marler NW; Montgomery FO (1993) Urban Road Traffic Surveys, .
- Montgomery FO (1991) Report of 23rd Conference, pp.149-150.
- Nguyen QH; Montgomery FO (2007) Saturation Flow and Vehicle Equivalence Factors in Traffic Dominated by Motorcycles, 86th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C. January, 2007. .
- Nguyen QH; Montgomery FO (2006) Comparison of Discharge Patterns at Traffic Signals, 85th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board 2006 .
- Wang J; Liu R; Montgomery FO (2005) A Simulation Model of Motorway Merging Behaviour, Transportation and Traffic Theory: Flows, Dynamics and Human Interaction .
- Clark SD; Liu R; Montgomery FO; Tate JE (2000) The microscopic modelling comparison of two kerb-guided bus schemes, Transportation Research Board 79th Annual Meeting, Washington DC reprint no. 00-0948, .
- Mcdonald M; Montgomery FO (1996) Urban Traffic Control in Europe, Transport. Proceedings Institution of Civil Engineers 117, pp.50-56.
- Clark SD; Montgomery FO (1994) Design of Integrated ATT Strategies for Arterial Routes, 1st Conference:Computer Enabled Transport Telematics and Engineering Control, Maynooth College, Ireland .
- Montgomery FO (1994) Problems in Managing European Research in Transport, Managemnet of Collaborative European Programmes and Projects in Research, Education and Training, University of Oxford .
- Montgomery FO; Bolelli A (1992) Integrated traffic control on urban arterials, 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Navigation Systems, Oslo, 1992 .
- Montgomery FO (1992) Factors hindering progress in international transport research, 6th World Conference on Transport Research. Session SS17, Lyon, France .
- Quinn DJ; Montgomery FO (1992) Queue management strategies using fixed time signal control, 6th International Conference on Road Traffic Monitoring and Control, Institute of Electrical Engineers, London, April 1992 .
- Dougherty MS; Ibbetson LJ; Montgomery FO (1991) The Evaluation by microsimulation of a rule-based real-time traffic control system, 24th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automotion, Florence, Italy, 1991 .
- Montgomery FO; Ibbetson LJ (1991) A context-free expert system for traffic control in Europe, Workshop on Traffic Engineering Technology, University College, London .
- Dougherty MS; Montgomery FO (1990) Knowledge elicitation from traffic signal experts, OECD Workshop on the Knowledge-based Expert Systems in Transportation, Espoo, Finland 1, pp.154-170.
- Williams PG; Kirby HR; Montgomery FO; Boyle R (1988) Evaluation of video-recognition equipment for number-plate matching, PTRC Summer Annual Meeting, University of Bath .
- Birkinshaw DE; Kirby HR; Montgomery FO (1988) Traffic signal design using an expert system shell, UK Dvelopments in Road Traffic Signalling, Institution of Electrical Engineers, London .
- Wu SF; Montgomery FO (1988) The effects of overtaking regulations on motorway speed and capacity, 20th Annual Conference of UTSG. University College, London .
- Birkinshaw DE; Kirby HR; Montgomery FO (1988) Traffic signal design using an expert system shell, Applications of Expert Systems in Road Transportation, Institute of Electrical Engineers, London .
- Montgomery FO (1987) Rule based systems for traffic signal design, Transportation Engineering and Management for Developing Countries. Nanyang Technological Institute, Singapore .
- Bonsall PW; Montgomery FO (1984) Bias and error in estimates of day-to-day variability in driver behaviour, PTRC Summer Annual Meeting, University of Sussex .
- Tran Huu M; Montgomery FO; Timms PM (2007) Modelling Bus Lane Priorities In Motorcycle Dominated Environment With SATURN, TRB Annual meeting 86th, Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, USA. .
- Putranto LS; Grant-Muller SM; Montgomery FO (2007) Characteristics of private car and motorcycle ownership in Indonesia, EAST conference, sept 2007, Dalian, China .
- Tran Huu M; Montgomery FO; Timms PM (2006) Bus Lane Priorities In Mixed Traffic., XIV Pan-American Conference of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Las Palmas Spain 2006 .
- Chen H; Mussone L; Montgomery FO; Watson SM (1998) The effects of missing data on neural network performance in forecasting flow, Paper presented at International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies, Beijing, China pp.320-329.
- Chen H; Boyle R; Montgomery FO; Kirby HR (1998) Automated Motorway Incident Detection, EIS '98, Tenerife, Spain pp.408-415.
- Dougherty MS; Chen H; Boyle R; Montgomery FO (1998) Short term forecasting and incident detection: two sides of the same coin?, Paper presented at ASCE 98, Newport Beach, California, USA .
- Mussone L; Chen H; Montgomery FO (1998) A method to calculate PCU values in motorway environment, EIS '98, Tenerife, Spain pp.393-399.
- Chen H; Boyle R; Montgomery FO; Kirby HR; Dougherty MS (1997) Motorway Incident Detection Using PCA, IEE Colloquium on Incident Detection and Management, London pp.1-5.
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1995) Priority management for urban arterials: Transferability of techniques: York/Selby Road, Working Paper 463, .
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1995) Priority management for urban arterials: Transferability of techniques: Methodology and summary, Working Paper 460, .
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1995) Priority management for urban arterials: Transferability of techniques: Hypothetical arterials, Working Paper 464, .
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1995) Priority Management for urban arterials: Transferability of techniques: Otley/Kirkstall road, Working Paper 462, .
- Clark SD; May AD; Montgomery FO (1995) Priority management for urban arterials: Transferability of techniques: Humberstone/Uppingham road, Working Paper 461, .
- Montgomery FO; Paksarsawan S; Clark SD (1992) How Traf-Netsim works., Working Paper 380, .
- Clark SD; Montgomery FO (1992) Queue Management Project: calibration of the traffic model., Working Paper 347, .
- Montgomery FO; May AD (1986) Control of Congestion at Highly Saturated Signalised Intersections: Experiments on Rama 4 Road, Bangkok, Working Paper 222, .
- May AD; Montgomery FO (1984) Factors Affecting Travel Times on Urban Radial Routes, Working Paper 177, .
- Montgomery FO (1984) Accurate Travel Times Using Portable Tape Recorders, Working Paper 171, .
- May AD; Fowkes AS; Montgomery FO (1983) Travel Time Monitoring in Urban Areas, Working Paper 166, .
- Montgomery FO; May AD (1983) Work Journey Rescheduling: Model Development and Analysis, Working Paper 167, .
- May AD; Montgomery FO (1983) Work Journey Rescheduling: Results and Conclusions, Working Paper 168, .
- May AD; Montgomery FO; Wheatley MD (1981) Car Sharing and Peak Spreading: Final Report, Sheffield, Working Paper 142, .
- May AD; Wheatley MD; Montgomery FO (1981) Work Journey Rescheduling - Report of Surveys, Working Paper 150, .