Dr Anthony Whiteing
Director of Student Education
Key Research Interests
- Freight Transport – economics and environmental impacts
- Modal choice for freight transport
- Environmental impacts and sustainability of logistics and supply chains
- 1984-2004: University of Huddersfield, Senior Lecturer in Transport & Logistics
- 1979-1984: Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, Research Fellow in Rail Transport.
- 1976 University of Hull, BSc(Econ) with First Class Honours
- 1978 University of Leeds, MA Transport Economics
- 1982 University of Leeds, PhD
- Member, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- Member of Steering Group, Logistics Research Network (a Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Forum)
- Editor, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications.
Research Projects and Experience
- Over thirty years research experience in the field of freight transport, particularly relating to mode choice (road v. rail) and the environmental impacts of freight transport operations. Principal Investigator for 'Green Logistics', a four-year project (2006-2010) funded by EPSRC and conducted by a consortium of 6 UK universities headed by Leeds ITS, researching into ways of improving the sustainability of freight transport, logistics and supply chain operations
- More than 25 years experience of lecturing in economic principles, applied and managerial economics, transport economics, physical distribution management, logistics and supply chain management.
- Currently module leader for Masters module TRAN5162 Green Logistics, undergraduate modules TRAN2010 Transport Economics and TRAN3040 Physical Distribution & Logistics.
- Naimanye AG; Whiteing T (2016) Poverty-centred rural road funds sharing in sub-Saharan Africa, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Transport, 169, pp.387-396. doi: 10.1680/jtran.15.00071
- Nugroho MT; Whiteing A; de Jong G (2016) Port and inland mode choice from the exporters' and forwarders' perspectives: Case study - Java, Indonesia, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 19, pp.73-82. doi: 10.1016/j.rtbm.2016.03.010
- Liang XH; Tan KH; Whiteing A; Nash C; Johnson D (2016) Parcels and mail by high speed rail-A comparative analysis of Germany, France and China, Journal of Rail Transport Planning and Management, . doi: 10.1016/j.jrtpm.2016.04.003
- Rodrigues VS; Cowburn J; Potter A; Naim MM; Whiteing AE (2014) Developing ‘Extra Distance’ as a Measure for the Evaluation of Road Freight Transport Performance, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 63, pp.822-840. doi: 10.1108/IJPPM-05-2013-0091
- Mullen C; Tight M; Whiteing A; Jopson A (2014) Knowing their place on the roads: What would equality mean for walking and cycling?, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 61, pp.238-248. doi: 10.1016/j.tra.2014.01.009
- Liu R; Whiteing A; Koh A (2013) Challenging established rules for train control through a fault tolerance approach: Applications at a classic railway junction, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 227, pp.685-692. doi: 10.1177/0954409713496988
- Ballantyne EEF; Lindholm M; Whiteing A (2013) A comparative study of urban freight transport planning: Addressing stakeholder needs, Journal of Transport Geography, 32, pp.93-101. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2013.08.013
- Ursani Z; Mei TX; Whiteing A (2013) A fault tolerance approach for railway scheduling and train control, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 56, pp.161-173. doi: 10.1016/j.trb.2013.08.002
- Jones T; Pooley CG; Scheldeman G; Horton D; Tight M; Mullen C; Jopson A; Whiteing A (2012) Moving around the city: Discourses on walking and cycling in english urban areas, Environment and Planning A, 44, pp.1407-1424. doi: 10.1068/a44387
- Whiteing T (2011) Annual Conference Special Issue for the Logistics Research Network (LRN) Towards the sustainable supply chain: Balancing the needs of business, economy and the environment, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 14, pp.367-369. doi: 10.1080/13675567.2011.647423
- Menachof DA; Gibson BJ; Hanna JB; Whiteing AE (2009) An analysis of the value of supply chain management periodicals, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 39, pp.145-166. doi: 10.1108/09600030910942403
- Rodrigues VS; Stantchev DS; Potter A; Naim MM; Whiteing AE (2008) Establishing a transport operation focused uncertainty model for the supply chain, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 38, pp.388-411. doi: 10.1108/09600030810882807
- Whiteing AE (2005) The Changing Face of Logistics, Freight Transport Review, pp.29-30.
- Fowkes AS; Firmin P; Tweddle G; Whiteing AE (2004) How Highly Does the Freight Transport Industry Value Journey Time Reliability - and for What Reasons?, International Journal of Logistics: Research & Applications, 7, pp.33-43. doi: 10.1080/13675560310001619259
- Fowkes AS; Firmin PE; Whiteing AE; Tweddle G (2003) Freight Road User Valuations of Three Different Aspects of Delay., Logistics Solutions, 5, pp.15-21.
- Whiteing AE; Brewer PR (1998) Contestability in the UK rail freight market: what are the key barriers to entry and how can they be overcome?, Trasporti Europei, 9, pp.12-22.
- Murray W; Whiteing AE (1995) Reducing commercial vehicle accidents through accident databases., Logistics Information Management, 8, pp.22-29. doi: 10.1108/09576059510091643
- Fowkes AS; Nash CA; Tweddle G; Whiteing AE (1987) Forecasting Freight Mode Choice in Great Britain, Focus on Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 6, pp.20-28.
- Fowkes AS; Mackie PJ; Nash CA; Whiteing AE (1985) Road Track Cost Allocation in Great Britain, Transportation Research. Part B: Methodological, 19B, pp.161-165. doi: 10.1016/0191-2615(85)90022-0
- Fowkes AS; Nash CA; Whiteing AE (1985) Understanding Trends in InterCity Rail Traffic in Great Britain, Transportation Planning and Technology, 10, pp.65-80. doi: 10.1080/03081068508717301
- (2015) Green Logistics (3rd edition), Kogan Page.
- (2012) Green Logistics (2nd edition), Kogan Page.
- (2010) Green Logistics, Kogan Page.
- Mackie PJ; Simon D; Whiteing AE (1987) The British Transport Industry and the European Community., Gower.
- McKinnon AC; Whiteing AE (2015) 3D Printing., In: McKinnon AC; Browne M; Piecyk M; Whiteing AE (Ed) Green Logistics (3rd Edition), Kogan Page, pp.403-406.
- Woodburn A; Whiteing AE (2015) Transferring Freight to ‘Greener’ Transport Modes., In: McKinnon AC; Browne M; Piecyk M; Whiteing AE (Ed) Green Logistics (3rd Edition), Kogan Page, pp.148-164.
- Woodburn A; Whiteing AE (2012) Transferring Freight to ‘Greener’ Transport Modes, In: McKinnon AC; Browne M; Whiteing AE (Ed) Green Logistics (2nd edition), Kogan Page, pp.129-144.
- Woodburn A; Whiteing AE (2010) Transferring Freight to ‘Greener’ Transport Modes, In: McKinnon AC; Cullinane S; Browne M; Whiteing AE (Ed) Green Logistics, Kogan Page, pp.124-139.
- Whiteing AE (2006) Food Miles - Sourcing and Distribution Solutions for the Public Sector, In: Marsden G (Ed) Wasted Miles, Wasted Money, Construction Industry Conference Centre Ltd, Cambridge, pp.71-80.
- Browne M; Nemoto M; Visser J; Whiteing AE (2004) Urban Freight Movements and Public-Private Partnerships, In: Taniguchi E; Thompson R (Ed) Logistics Systems for Sustainable Cities: Proceedings of the Third International Conference, Logistics Systems for Sustainable Cities: Proceedings of the Third International Conference.
- Whiteing AE; Browne M; Allen J (2003) City Logistics: The Continuing Search for Sustainable Solutions, In: Waters D (Ed) Global Logistics and Distribution Planning, Kogan Page, pp.308-320.
- Whiteing AE; Stantchev DS; James J; Murphy PA (2003) Logistics Service Provision in the Yorkshire and Humber Region: A Study of the Different Perceptions of Users and Providers, In: Menachof DA; Sodhi MS; Browne M; Allen J (Ed) Logistics Research Network 2003 Conference Proceedings, Corby, Institute of Logistics and Transport, pp.447-453.
- Whiteing AE; Coyle M; Bamford CG (2002) Effective Fuel Management in Road Transport Fleets, In: Lyons G; Chatterjee K (Ed) Transport Lessons from the Fuel Tax Protests of 2000, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, pp.205-219.
- Whiteing AE (2001) Manufacturing Logistics, In: Brewer A; Button KJ; Hensher DA (Ed) ITS Handbook in Transport, Vol. 2 - Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Pergamon, pp.407-417.
- Whiteing AE (1999) Logistics in City Centres: A Planning and Policy Dilemma, In: Waters D (Ed) Global Logistics and Distribution Planning: Strategies for Management, Kogan Page, pp.280-290.
- Murray W; Whiteing AE; Rackliff LK (1997) Reducing the Impact of Commercial Vehicle Accidents, In: Wright DT; Rudolph MM; Hanna V; Gillingwater D; Burns ND (Ed) Managing Enterprises - Stakeholders, Engineering, Logistics and Achievement, Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited, pp.313-318.
- Thomasson E; Bamford CG; Whiteing AE (1991) Factors influencing change in freight transport and distribution: an investigation., In: Moyes A (Ed) Companies, Regions and Transport Change., Institute of British Geographers, Transport Geography Study Group.
- Nash CA; Whiteing AE (1988) Mode choice: a Total Distribution Cost approach., In: Bianco L; La Bella A (Ed) Freight Transport Planning and Logistics, Springer-Verlag.
- Pitfield DE; Whiteing AE (1985) Forecasting Rail Freight Flows in Britain, In: Button KJ; Pitfield DE (Ed) International Railway Economics, Gower, pp.209-233.
- Marsden G; Mattioli G; Whiteing A; Jones I; Cepeda M; Atkinson P; Palmer K; Edwards H; Wadud Z; Burkinshaw J (In press) Section 1: New trends in transport demand and related impact on transport systems and patterns, pp.11-52. doi: 10.2861/64175
- Whiteing AE (2010) The future of sustainable freight transport and logistics, .
- Stantchev DS; Whiteing AE (2006) Urban Freight Transport and Logistics: An Overview of the European Research and Policy, .
- Proost S; Dunkerley C; de Palma A; van der Loo S; Guehnemann A; Mackie PJ; Whiteing AE; Koskenoja P (2006) Funding Infrastructure: Guidelines for Europe, Deliverable 1: Economics of European infrastructure Funds and mark-ups: methodology., .
- Fowkes AS; Nellthorp J; Whiteing AE; de Jong G; Toner JP; Mackie PJ (2005) Notes on freight scheme benefits, .
- Nugroho MT; Whiteing AE; de Jong G (2015) Containerised Exports from Java: The Impact of Policies to Reduce GHG Emissions, .
- Nugroho MT; Whiteing A; De Jong G (2015) Port and Inland Mode Choice from the Exporters’ and Forwarders’ Perspectives, Proceedings of the World Conference on Transport Research Society: Special Interest Group 2 .
- Marsden G; Ballantyne EEF; Whiteing AE (2011) An analysis of local authority views and treatment of urban freight in the UK, Universities' Transport Study Group, Archives .
- Johnson DH; Whiteing AE; Fowkes AS (2005) LEFT2 - A Strategic Freight Transport Model for Great Britain, European Transport Conference, Strasbourg .
- Whiteing AE (1982) TESTING THE SENSITIVITY OF MODAL CHOICE FOR BULK FREIGHT MOVEMENTS TO A RANGE OF IMPORTANT VARIABLES., P230, pp.169-179.
- Nugroho T; Whiteing A; Balijepalli NC (2017) Traffic management for independent retailer activity, 49th Universities Transport Study Group Annual Conference ( UTSG) .
- Liu R; Whiteing A; Koh A (2012) A model of fault tolerance approach to train operations at a classic railway junction, hEART 2012 - 1st Symposium of the European Association for Research in Transportation .
- Marsden G; Ballantyne EEF; Whiteing AE (2011) Investigating the impacts of urban transport policies on essential freight operations, 16th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference .
- Whiteing AE; Johnson DH; Wright C; Garratt M (2007) Modelling Freight Flows on the Betuwe Line , Second International Conference on Funding Transportation Infrastructure, Leuven (Belgium), September 20-21, 2007. .
- Menachof DA; Gibson BJ; Hanna JB; Whiteing AE (2007) An Analysis of the Value of Supply Chain Management Periodicals. , Logistics Research Network Annual Conference 2007. 5-7 September 2007, Hull, UK .
- Johnson DH; Whiteing AE; Fowkes AS (2007) LEFT: The Right Approach to Aggregate Strategic Freight Transport Modelling?, UTSG 2007 .
- Guehnemann A; Whiteing AE; Mackie PJ; Smith N (2006) Transport Infrastructure Funding Systems - A Review of European Experience., 5th Conference on Applied Infrastructure Research (INFRADAY), Berlin, 6-7 October 2006. .
- Whiteing AE (2006) Supplying Food into the Public Sector: Opportunities for More Efficient and Sustainable Distribution., Logistics Research Network 2006 Conference pp.488-493.
- Stantchev DS; Whiteing AE; Bamford CG (2006) Adaptation of the Scott and Westbrook Mapping Technique: A Supply Chain Investigation of Companies in the Yorkshire and Humber Region., Logistics Research Network 2006 Conference pp.421-426.
- Fowkes AS; Whiteing AE (2006) The value of freight travel time savings and reliability improvements - recent evidence from Great Britain, European Transport Conference, Strasbourg. 2006 .
- Whiteing AE; Stantchev DS (2004) Freight Transport and Logistics in the Yorkshire and Humber Region: Addressing the Skills Gaps, University Transport Studies Group (UTSG) Conference, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 5-7 January 2004. .
- Whiteing AE (2003) Crash reporting and recording by UK transport fleets, UTSG 2003 .
- Whiteing AE; Stantchev DS; James J; Murphy PA (2003) Logistics Service Provision in the Yorkshire and Humber Region: A Study of the Different Perceptions of Users and Providers., Logistics Research Network 2003 pp.447-453.
- Whiteing AE (2002) In the wake of the autumn 2000 fuel crisis , UTSG 2002 .
- Fowkes AS; Firmin PE; Tweddle G; Whiteing AE (2001) How highly does the freight transport industry value journey time reliability - and for what reasons?, Logistics Research Network 6th Annual Conference pp.141-148.
- Fowkes AS; Johnson DH; Whiteing AE (2004) The Development of the LEFT2 Model, Working Paper 582, .