- To provide a computer-based urban traffic network model framework to simulate both the within day and day-to-day evolution of, say, a peak period, with the emphasis on individual choices and individual vehicle's movements;
- To test fundamental issues of network modelling;
- To test new forms of traffic management and control strategies;
- To assess future transport strategies including real-time systems and complex behaviour;
- To provide a flexible modelling framework whereby new research results can be readily incorporated: for example, new behavioural rules describing the response to real-time strategies.