Towards an evidence-based charging policy
for transport infrastructure
17 – 18 September 2001
Venue: Ecole nationale des ponts et chaussées,
28 rue des Saints Pères, 75007 Paris
Métro : Saint Germain des Près
This seminar brings together speakers of international repute from the pricing policy and research fields from Europe and North America in order to:
· Discuss the evidence base for pricing reform; and,
· Debate how to accelerate the pace of change in aligning prices towards the social costs of transport.
The seminar comes at a time when the Commission is translating policy proposals for the road, rail, aviation, maritime and inland waterway sectors into practice.
Recent fuel protests across Europe highlight the need for a strong evidence base to underpin progress and innovation in this politically explosive area.
What is UNITE?
UNITE is the premier European research project on the estimation of social costs for transport infrastructure charging purposes.
Who are the speakers?
Key speakers include:
· Commission policy initiators Hugh Rees, Tom Howes & Catharina Sikow;
· Internationally renowned academics Marc Gaudry, Jean Tirole, Ken Small, Emile Quinet, Stef Proost, Werner Rothengatter & Chris Nash;
· Leading practitioners Heike Link, Markus Maibach, Stefan Suter.
Is the seminar research or policy orientated?
Both! The focus is on the direct use of research evidence for pricing policy purposes in the aviation, road, rail, maritime & inland waterway fields.
Of the 80 places available allocations have been made for:
· 30 government experts;
· 10 Commission policy officers;
· 15 transport operators;
· 15 respected academics; and,
· 10 practitioners/ consultants
We welcome your participation!
Prof Chris Nash, research co-ordinator for the UNITE project, University of Leeds
Prof Emile Quinet, host on behalf of the Ecole nationale des ponts et chaussées
View Programme and proceedings