Dr Paul Timms
Senior Research Fellow
Key Research Interests
- Future global mobility scenarios and utopias
- Philosophy and history of transport modelling
- Interpretation of modelling concepts as literary concepts
- Transferability of transport policies / models between geographical locations
- Public participation in transport planning
- Various jobs in community work (1974-1985).
- BA(Hons) in Mathematics (1974) Oxford University
- MSc in Transport Planning and Engineering (1986), University of Leeds
- PhD in Transport Modelling (1990) University of Leeds
Research Projects and Experience
- A large number of research projects concerned with various aspects of transport modelling and transport policy, ranging from traffic signals to world futures.
- A large number of overseas professional engagements including consultancy, research and teaching assignments in Thailand, Vietnam, India, Brazil, Malaysia, Rwanda, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, El Salvador, Chile, China and Russia.
- ITS Project Manager of a large number of EU-funded research projects
- Fluency in Portuguese (spoken and written)
- Supervision of four past PhD students (all successfully completed their PhDs) and eight current PhD students.
- Ex-director of Short Courses at ITS.
- Tight MR; Rajé F; Timms PM (2016) Car-free urban areas - a radical solution to the last mile problem or a step too far?, Built Environment, 42, pp.603-616. doi: 10.2148/benv.42.4.603
- Timms PM (2014) Transferability of urban freight transport measures: A case study of Cariacica (Brazil), Research in Transportation Business & Management, 11, pp.63-74. doi: 10.1016/j.rtbm.2014.02.001
- Timms P; Tight M; Watling D (2014) Imagineering mobility: Constructing utopias for future urban transport, Environment and Planning A, 46, pp.78-93. doi: 10.1068/a45669
- Ngoduy D; Watling D; Timms P; Tight M (2013) Dynamic Bayesian Belief Network to Model the Development of Walking and Cycling Schemes, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 7, pp.366-388. doi: 10.1080/15568318.2012.674627
- Tight M; Timms P; Banister D; Bowmaker J; Copas J; Day A; Drinkwater D; Givoni M; Gühnemann A; Lawler M; Macmillen J; Miles A; Moore N; Newton R; Ngoduy D; Ormerod M; O'Sullivan M; Watling D (2011) Visions for a walking and cycling focussed urban transport system, Journal of Transport Geography, 19, pp.1580-1589. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2011.03.011
- Harwatt HM; Tight M; Timms P (2011) Personal Transport Emissions Within London: Exploring Policy Scenarios and Carbon Reductions up to 2050, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 5, pp.270-288. doi: 10.1080/15568318.2010.506586
- Timms PM (2011) Urban transport policy transfer: ‘top down’ and ‘bottom up’ perspectives., Transport Policy, 18, pp.513-521. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2010.10.009
- Timms P; Tight M (2010) Aesthetic aspects of walking and cycling, Built Environment, 36, pp.487-503. doi: 10.2148/benv.36.4.487
- Timms PM (2008) Transport models, philosophy and language., Transportation, 3, pp.395-410.
- Emberger GPC; Pfaffenbichler PC; Jaensirisak S; Timms PM (2008) "Ideal" decision-making processes for transport planning: A comparison between Europe and South East Asia., Transport Policy, 15, pp.341-349. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2008.12.009
- Tran Huu M; Montgomery FO; Timms PM (2007) Modelling Bus Lane Priorities In A Motorcycle Dominated Environment Using SATURN., Transportation Research Record, pp.pp.1.
- Shepherd SP; Timms PM; May AD (2006) Modelling requirements for local transport plans: An assessment of English experience, Transport Policy, 13, pp.307-317. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2005.12.002
- Timms PM; May AD; Shepherd SP (2002) The sensitivity of optimal transport strategies to specification of objectives, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 36, pp.383-401. doi: 10.1016/S0965-8564(01)00009-X
- Timms PM (2001) A Philosophical Context for Methods to Estimate Origin-Destination Trip Matrices Using Link Counts, Transport Reviews, 21, pp.269-301. doi: 10.1080/01441640110050076
- May AD; Shepherd SP; Timms PM (2000) Optimal transport strategies for European cities, Transportation, 27, pp.285-315.
- Cassir C; Clegg R; Liu R; Timms PM (1999) The AIUTO project: York test site, 8th World Conference on Transport Research, Antwerp, Belgium, July 1998., 2, pp.402-415.
- May AD; Shepherd SP; Timms PM (1999) The specification of sustainable urban transport strategies, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 6, pp.293-304.
- Timms PM (1999) The interface between transport policy-making and science: a "two-person" model, Innovation, 12, .
- Carsten OMJ; Timms PM; Brundell-Freij K; Seco A (1995) Safe interaction of pedestrians and vehicles: Behaviour and ATT solutions., .
- Philips I; Watling D; Timms P (2015) Improving estimates of capacity of populations to make journeys by walking and cycling: An individual modelling process applied to whole populations using spatial microsimulation, .
- Philips I; Watling D; Timms P (2013) A conceptual approach for estimating resilience to fuel shocks, 13th World Conference on Transport Research .
- Timms PM; Tight M; Watling D; Gühnemann A; Miles A; Moore N (2011) Pathways to achieving radically different urban walking and cycling futures in the UK by 2030, .
- Harwatt H; Tight MR; Timms P (2008) Personal transport emissions within London: exploring policy scenarios and carbon reductions up to 2050, .
- Shepherd SP; Timms PM; May AD (2006) Modelling requirements for Local Transport Plans in the UK, In: May AD (Ed) 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul, July 2004 13, pp.307-317.
- Laird JJ; Timms P; Shepherd SP; Fiorello D (2013) Assessing Technology and Policy pathways towards GHG reduction targets in the EU, 13th World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR) .
- Tight MR; Timms PM; Watling DP; Gühnemann A (2011) Achieving radically different urban walking and cycling futures in the UK by 2030 - imagining different pathways, Royal Geographical Society RGS-IBG Annual International Conference .
- Timms PM; Tight MR (2010) Aesthetics and its relationship to social sustainability in urban transport systems, 12th World Conference on Transport Research .
- Watling DP; Timms PM (2010) Dealing with Future Uncertainty in Long-Term Transport Planning: Visions & Narrative Modelling, Institute of Mathematics & its Applications' 5th International Conference on Mathematics in Transport .
- Timms PM; Watling DP (2010) Narrative Modelling: Constructing Pathways to the Future, 12th World Conference on Transport Research .
- Ngoduy D; Watling D; Timms P; Tight MR (2010) Dynamic Bayesian Belief Network for the Development of Walking and Cycling Schemes, WCTR .
- Tight M; Banister D; Day A; Drinkwater D; Govoni M; Guehnemann A; Kimble M; MacMillen J; Miles A; Moore N; Newton E; Ngoduy D; Timms PM; Watling DP (2009) Visions of walking and cycling in 2030., Royal Geographical Society - IBG Annual Conference .
- Tight M; Banister D; Day A; Drinkwater D; Givoni M; Guehnemann A; Kimble M; MacMillan J; Miles A; Moore N; Newton E; Ngoduy D; Timms PM; Watling DP (2009) Visions of walking and cycling in 2030., Walk21 Conference .
- Tran Huu M; Montgomery FO; Timms PM (2007) Modelling Bus Lane Priorities In Motorcycle Dominated Environment With SATURN, TRB Annual meeting 86th, Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, USA. .
- Timms PM (2007) Transport utopia: a need for new models. , “Transport – The Next 50 Years” International Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, July25-27, 2007 .
- Timms PM (2007) Metaphor, Rhetoric, Narrative and Aesthetics in Transport Modelling, UTSG 2007 .
- Tran Huu M; Montgomery FO; Timms PM (2006) Bus Lane Priorities In Mixed Traffic., XIV Pan-American Conference of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Las Palmas Spain 2006 .
- Timms PM (2006) Researching the History of Transport Modelling, UTSG 2006 .
- Timms PM (2002) How About Building a Transport Model of the World?, Nordic Research Network on Modelling Transport, Land-Use and the Environment, 6th Workshop, Haugesund, Norway, 27-29 September 2002. pp.1-14.
- May AD; Shepherd SP; Timms PM (1999) The specification of optimal urban transport strategies, Proceedings of the 8th World Conference on Transport Research, Antwerp, July 1998. 2, pp.507-520.
- Timms PM; Shepherd SP; May AD (1998) FATIMA. The use of constraints in methods to find optimum transport policies, Proceedings 26th European Transport Forum, held at Loughbrough University, September. London, PTRC Education and Research Services Ltd. Seminar A, Pan European Transport Issues pp.103-115.
- Timms PM; May AD; Toffolo S; Shepherd SP; Marler NW (1998) FATIMA Financial Assistance for Transport Integration in Metropolitan Areas. Study Method and Results, Proceedings 26th European Transport Forum, held at Loughbrough University, September. London, PTRC Education and Research Services Ltd. Seminar A, Pan European Transport Issues pp.93-102.
- Marler NW; Estlander K; May AD; Himanen V; Timms PM (1998) Identification of current practice and future opportunities in private financing of transport, Paper presented at 8th World Conference on Transport Research, Antwerp, Belgium .
- May AD; Rand L; Timms PM; Toffolo S (1997) OPTIMA: Optimisation of Policies for Transport Integration in Metropolitan Areas, 25th European Transport Forum, London .
- Timms PM (1996) Case study of using Saturn in Muar, Malaysia, 2nd International Workshop on Transportation Plnning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries .
- Ambrosino G; Timms PM; Turrini M; Romanazzo M; Valenti G (1996) Evaluation methodology for energy impacts of traffic network based on urban TT services, 3rd World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Orlando, FL, .
- Timms PM (1996) Microsimulation models in transportation planning., 2nd International Workshop on Transport Planning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries .
- Timms PM (1996) The inclusion of pedestrians and cyclists in network planning models, 2nd Internatinal Workshop on Transportation Planning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries .
- Timms PM (2001) A Review of Methods for Estimating Origin-Destination Trip Matricies using Link Counts, Working Paper 556, .
- May AD; Shepherd SP; Timms PM (1997) Optimal transport strategy for European cities, Working Paper 530, .
- Timms PM; Emberger G (1997) Optimisation of Policies for Transport Integration in Metropolitan Areas. Report on work packages 30 & 40, Working Paper 500, .
- Liu R; Watling DP; Timms PM (1997) A calibration manual for DRACULA,. ITS Working Paper, ITS Working Paper, 478, .
- Timms PM; Seco A; Brundell-Freij K; Da Costa P (1994) Implementation of pedestrian meso models in Portugal (DRIVE Project V2005, deliverable 8), Working Paper 415, .