Professor Nigel Smith
Professor of Project & Transport Infrastructure Management
Phone: +44 (0)113 34 32301 (CIVE)
Room: CIVE 102
Key Research Interests
- Transport Infrastructure
- Project Management,
- Risk Management
- 15.06.73 Geo. Wimpey Ltd., Leeds
- 16.09.74 West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council, DOPET
- 04.09.78 Civil Service Commission: North Eastern Road Construction Unit HQ, Harrogate
- 01.10.79. Research Assistant, Project Management Group, UMIST.
- 01.11.83 Lecturer, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Sheffield.
- 01.04.89 - 31.07.99 Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, UMIST.
- 1974 B.Sc. Hons Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham;
- 1978 Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, CEng MICE
- 1980 Member of the Association of Project Managers, MAPM
- 1981 M.Sc. by Research, Victoria University of Manchester;
- 1986 Ph.D, Victoria University of Manchester
- 1998 Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers, CEng FICE
- Member of the Joint Board of Moderators the professional accreditation body for ICE/IStructE/IHT and Chair of the JBM International Sub-Committee
- Member of the Editorial Board for the International Journal of Project Management, the ICE Proceedings for Management Procurement and Law and for the Journal of Engineering Construction and Architectural Management
Research Projects and Experience
He is the author of several books on Project Management and on Risk Management and has over 100 refereed publications. Based on his industrial experience he has been active in attracting research funding from a range of national and international sources, including ESRC, EPSRC, DETR, EU, and from collaborating organisations in industry. Professor Smith is active in the Institution of Civil Engineers and is a member of the academic accreditation committee the Joint Board of Moderators and Chair of its International Sub-Committee. He is a Past President of the Association of Civil Engineering Departments. Recent research work includes studies of Risk Management, Public-Private Partnerships in Europe, Light Rail Transit Schemes and FIDIC contracts, and the management of Energy in Cities.
- CIVE5231: Funding of Infrastructure Projects
- CIVE5233: Risk Management
- CIVE2350: Transport Engineering
- 8 PhD students.
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ; Amiri GG (2014) Fuzzy multicriteria for developing a risk management system in seismically prone areas, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 48, pp.235-248. doi: 10.1016/j.seps.2014.05.002
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ; Amiri G (2014) Seismic risk management: A system-based perspective, Risk Management, 16, pp.294-318. doi: 10.1057/rm.2015.3
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ (2014) A risk-based system for managing the retrofitting of school buildings in seismic prone areas: A case study from Iran, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 17, pp.311-331.
- Ndekugri I; Chapman P; Smith NJ; Hughes W (2013) Best practice in the Training, Appointment and remuneration of Members of Dispute Boards for Large Infrastructure Projects, Journal of Management in Engineering, . doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000195
- Smith NJ; Aritua B; Clegg C; Challenger R (2011) Revisiting risk management in major infrastructure projects-why a socio-technical systems approach makes sense, Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering -Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, pp.1925-1932.
- Aritua B; Smith NJ; Bower D (2011) What risks are common to or amplified in programmes: Evidence from UK public sector infrastructure schemes, INT J PROJ MANAG, 29, pp.303-312. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2010.04.004
- Gannon MJ; Smith NJ (2011) An effective outline business case to facilitate successful decision-making, Construction Management and Economics, 29, pp.185-197. doi: 10.1080/01446193.2010.538707
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ (2010) A DSS framework for selecting projects in seismic areas, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, ARCOM 2010 - Proceedings of the 26th Annual Conference, pp.1209-1218.
- Aritua B; Smith NJ; Bower D (2009) Construction client multi-projects - A complex adaptive systems perspective, INT J PROJ MANAG, 27, pp.72-79. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2008.02.005
- Aritua B; Smith NJ; Athiyo R (2008) Private finance for the delivery of school projects in England, Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Management, Procurement and Law, 161, pp.141-146. doi: 10.1680/mpal.2008.161.4.141
- Smith NJ; Gannon M (2008) Political risk in light rail transit PPP projects, Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Management, Procurement and Law, 161, pp.179-185. doi: 10.1680/mpal.2008.161.4.179
- Mulu T; Smith NJ (2008) Innovative road infrastructure financing in Jamaica and the developing countries, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, ARCOM 2008 - Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference, 1, pp.197-206.
- Moodley K; Smith N; Preece CN (2008) Stakeholder matrix for ethical relationships in the construction industry, Construction Management and Economics, 26, pp.625-632. doi: 10.1080/01446190801965368
- Smith N; Male S (2007) Risk, value, uncertainty and requirements management in projects, CME 2007 Conference - Construction Management and Economics: 'Past, Present and Future', pp.385-394.
- Zeng J; An M; Smith NJ (2007) Application of a fuzzy based decision making methodology to construction project risk assessment, International Journal of Project Management, 25, pp.589-600. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2007.02.006
- Ndekugri I; Smith N; Hughes W (2007) The engineer under FIDIC's conditions of contract for construction, Construction Management and Economics, 25, pp.791-799. doi: 10.1080/01446190701411216
- Tan Y; Smith NJ; Bower D (2006) A Case Based Reasoning Approach for Risk Identification in construction Projects, Advances in Engineering Software, .
- Afila D; Smith NJ (2006) Risk management and value management in project appraisal, Proceedings of the ICE - Management, Procurement and Law, 160, pp.63-67.
- Xu TJ; Tiong RLK; Chew DAS; Smith NJ (2005) Development model for competitive construction industry in the people's Republic of China, J CONSTR ENG M ASCE, 131, pp.844-853. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2005)131:7(844)
- Xu T; Bower DA; Smith NJ (2005) Types of collaboration between foreign contractors and their Chinese partners, International Journal of Project Management, 23, pp.45-53. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2004.05.012
- Smith N; Zhang H; Zhu Y (2004) The Huaibei power plant and its implications for the Chinese BOT market, International Journal of Project Management, 22, pp.407-413. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2003.09.001
- Xu TJ; Smith NJ; Bower DA; Chew AS (2004) Development strategies for chinese design institutes, J MANAGE ENG, 20, pp.62-69. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0742-597X(2004)20:2(62)
- Xu T; Smith NJ; Bower D (2004) Forms of collaboration and project delivery in Chinese construction markets: the probable emergence of strategic alliances and design-build, Journal of Management in Engineering, 21, pp.407-413.
- Smith NJ; Jacob D (2001) Finanzierung offentlicher Bauprojekte - ein europaischer Wachstumsmarkt, Die Bank, pp.684-687.
- Nethercot DA; Tizani W; Smith NJ (2001) Integrated Design of Tubular Steelwork, Structural Engineer, 79, pp.25-29.
- Smith NJ (1999) The Use of incentives in Alliancing , Journal of the Institution of Nuclear Engineers, 40, pp.236-239.
- Smith NJ; Merna A (1999) Privately financed infrastructure in the 21st century , Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers. Civil Engineering, 132, pp.166-173.
- Thomas NG; Skitmore RM; Smith NJ (1999) Decision-makers' perceptions in the formulation of prequalification criteria, Engineering Construction and Architectural Management, 6, pp.155-165.
- Ng T; Smith NJ (1998) Verification and Validation of a Case-based Pre-qualification System, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 12, pp.215-226. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(1998)12:4(215)
- Smith NJ (1995) Project Management: Engineering, Technology and Implementation, International Journal of Project Management, 13, pp.407-408.
- Smith NJ (1995) The Future of Project Management, DipEM News, Magazine of the Joint Board for Engineering Management, pp.pp 2.
- Smith NJ (1995) A Growing Area of Needs - Risk Management, The GTI Civil and Structural Engineering Journal, pp.pp 68.
- Smith NJ (1995) Project Management, Journal of Engineering Construction and Architectural Management, pp.78-79.
- Smith NJ (2003) Appraisal, Risk and Uncertainty, Construction Management Series, 1, Thomas Telford Publishing.
- Smith NJ (2002) Engineering Project Management, Blackwell Science, pp.pp. 384.
- Smith NJ (1995) Project Cost Estimating, ICE Management Guides Series, Chapters 2 and 11, Thomas Telford.
- Smith NJ; Bower D; Merna A; Thompson PA; Vickridge IG; Wearne SH (1995) Engineering Project Management, Blackwell Science.
- Smith N; Bower D; Aritua B (2010) Risk Management and Procurement, Improving Healthcare through Built Environment Infrastructure, pp.139-150. doi: 10.1002/9781444319675.ch10
- Smith NJ; Bower D (2008) Projects and Project Management, In: Smith NJ (Ed) Engineering Project Management, Blackwell, pp.1-13.
- Mackie PJ; Smith NJ (2007) Road transport infrastructure: Business models, trends and prospects, Infrastructure to 2030, 2, pp.463-495. doi: 10.1787/9789264031326-9-en
- Mackie PJ; Smith NJ (2007) Road Transport Infrastructure- Business Models, Trends and Prospects, In: OECD (Ed) Infrastructure to 2030: Mapping Policy for Electricity, Water and Transport , 2, Paris, pp.463-495.
- Smith NJ (2003) Roles and responsibilities in project contract management, In: Turner JR (Ed) Contracting for Project Management, Gower, pp.1-18.
- Smith NJ (2002) Risk Management, In: Kelly; J; Morledge; R; Wilkinson; S (Ed) Best Value In Construction, Blackwell Publishing, pp.100-115.
- Smith NJ (2000) Roles and Responsibilities in Project Procurement, In: Turner JR; Simister SJ (Ed) The Gower Handbook of Project Management, Gower Publishing Ltd, pp.571-588.
- Mackie PJ; Smith NJ (2005) Report on the Pricing of Tolled Highways in Europe, .
- Elmahroug MH; Tutesigensi A; Smith NJ (2016) A problem solving approach to identifying civil engineering infrastructure projects, Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ARCOM Conference, ARCOM 2016 pp.853-862.
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ; Amiri G (2014) Seismic risk management: A system-based perspective, In: Beer M; Au S-K; Hall JW (Ed) Vulnerability, Uncertainty, and Risk: Quantification, Mitigation, and Management pp.2675-2684. doi: 10.1061/9780784413609.269
- Vahdat K; Smith NJ; Amiri G (2014) Developing a Knowledge Based Expert System (KBES) for Seismic Risk Management, In: Beer M; Au S-K; Hall JW (Ed) Vulnerability, Uncertainty, and Risk: Quantification, Mitigation, and Management pp.1746-1755. doi: 10.1061/9780784413609.175
- Oliomogbe GO; Smith NJ (2013) Does the deployment of project management itself provide benefits? Both tangible and intangible, Proceedings 29th Annual Association of Researchers in Construction Management Conference pp.881-891.
- Oliomogbe GO; Smith NJ (2013) Does the deployment of project management itself provide benefits? Both tangible and intangible, Proceedings 29th Annual Association of Researchers in Construction Management Conference, ARCOM 2013 pp.881-891.
- Hagan G; Bower D; Smith N (2012) Delivery of complex construction multi-projects in contractor-led procurement, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, ARCOM 2012 - Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference 2, pp.1121-1131.
- Hagan G; Bower D; Smith N (2011) Managing complex projects in multi-project environments, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, ARCOM 2011 - Proceedings of the 27th Annual Conference 2, pp.787-796.
- Smith NJ; An M (2006) Risk analysis for construction tomorrow, In: Turner R (Ed) Proceedings of 20th IPMA World Congress on Project Management, Vols 1 and 2 pp.250-253.
- Smith NJ; Mackie PJ (2005) Financing Roads in Great Britain, Procurement and Financing of Motorways in Europe (Research in Transportation Economics, volume 15) . doi: 10.1016/S0739-8859(05)15017-3
- Tan Y; Smith NJ; Bower D (2005) A Case based reasoning approach for risk identification in construction projects, 8th International Conference on the Application of Artificail Intelligence to Civil, Structural and Environmental engineering pp.23-24.
- Bower D; Smith NJ (2005) Framework agreements in multi-project environments, PMI EMEA Global Congress .
- Tan Y; Bower D; Smith NJ (2004) The Role of IT in Project Risk Management: A Review, 1st International conference of the World of Construction Project Management pp.323-334.
- Tan Y; Smith NJ; Bower D (2004) Managing knowledge of project risks, 4th International Conference of Construction Project Management pp.253-262.
- Xu T; Bower D; Smith NJ (2003) Forms of Collaboration For Foreign contractors in china, ARCOM 19th annual conference 2, pp.777-787.
- Tan Y; Smith NJ; Bower D (2003) Improving Project Risk Management by utilising hybrid intelligent reasoning, ARCOM 19th Annual conference 1, pp.359-369.
- Smith NJ; Bower D; Xu TJ (2002) Towards the Effective Localisation of International Contractors in China, Proceedings of the 18th ARCOM Annual Conference, Newcastle University 1, pp.287-294.
- Smith NJ; Bower D; Fish E (2002) The Design and Implementation of Project Management Processes in a Small Chemical Company, Proceedings of the 16th IPMA World Congress on Project Management, Berlin pp.171-178.
- Smith NJ; Grimsey D (1995) Infrastructure: Private finance needs public partnership, Proceedings of 1st International Symposium on Project Management, Xi'an, China pp.290-298.
- Smith NJ; Bower D; Silva FL (1995) Bridge Management Systems to enhance effective life, Proceedings of the Structural Faults & Repair-95 Conference, Westminster, London, 1, pp.31-37.
- Smith NJ; Nethercot DA; Tizani W (1995) Decision Support for the fabrication-led design of tubular trusses, IABSE Colloquium, Knowledge Support Systems in Civil Engineering, Bergamo pp.117-120.
- Smith NJ; Ng T; Skitmore RM (1995) Case based Reasoning for Contractor Prequalification, Proceedings of Civil-Comp 95, 6th Internat Conference on Civil and Structural Engineering Computing, Civil- Comp Press pp.61-66.
- Mackie PJ; Smith NJ (2006) Transport Infrastructure Funding Systems - A Review of European Experience, 5th Conference on Applied Infrastructure Research (INFRADAY) .