Dr Karl Ropkins
Senior Research Fellow
Key Research Interests
- Environmental impact assessment
- The development, validation and use of monitoring systems to quantify pollution
- The application of environmental forensic and source apportionment techniques to the characterisation and measurement of source contributions from different pollution sources
- 2007-Present, Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 2004-2007, Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 2002-2003, Research Fellow, Department of Environmental Health and Risk Management, University of Birmingham
- 1998-2002, Research Associate, Department of Biological Sciences (Wye College Campus), then T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Sciences & Engineering (South Kensington Campus), Imperial College
- 1990-1994, Environmental/Forensic Chemist, M Scan Limited, Mass Spectrometry Consultancy
- University of Nottingham (1998), PhD, Analytical Chemistry/Food Science
- University College North Wales (1989), BSc Hons, Marine Chemistry
Research Projects and Experience
- Air pollution data handling and analysis tool development for the NERC funded knowledge exchange project openair (2008-Present) http://www.openair-project.org/
- Method development and data collection, validation and characterization of probe vehicle exhaust emissions as part of EPSRC funded RETEMM project (2004-2007) http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/facilities/icity/projects/retemm.htm
- Coordinated installation phase of HEFCE SRIF 2 award Instrumented Junction project, instrumenting a metropolitan junction to provide synchronous data on vehicle flows, driver behaviour, signal settings, vehicle emissions, air-flows and noise and air pollution (2005-2007) http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/facilities/icity/leeds_ex_site.php
- Collaborated on EU funded SAPPHIRE project on the source apportionment of airborne pollutants in five European cities, Athens, Birmingham, Copenhagen, Helsinki and Oporto (2002-2003)
- Conducted UTMC funded UTMC28 project, laboratory evaluations and field trials on air quality monitoring sensors and evaluated potential as 'feedbacks' for traffic Urban Traffic Management and Control systems (1999-2001)
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation for various short study and contract impact assessment and emission quantification studies, including work for Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Heathrow Airport, Highways Agency, Transport for London, Transport Research Laboratory
- Currently present two sets of lectures, 'monitoring vehicle emissions' (as part of MSc Module TRAN5690) and 'modelling traffic emissions' (as part of MSc Module TRAN5700)
- Previously run seminars, lectures and presentations on a range of subjects including environmental monitoring and modelling, analytical/forensic chemistry, analytical methods, environmental pollution and food contamination for both post- and undergraduate students
- Jephcote C; Chen H; Ropkins K (2016) Implementation of the Polluter-Pays Principle (PPP) in local transport policy, Journal of Transport Geography, 55, pp.58-71. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2016.06.017
- Sayegh A; Tate JE; Ropkins K (2016) Understanding how roadside concentrations of NO
xare influenced by the background levels, traffic density, and meteorological conditions using Boosted Regression Trees, Atmospheric Environment, 127, pp.163-175. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.12.024
- Loecher M; Ropkins K (2015) RgoogleMaps and loa: Unleashing R graphics power on map tiles, Journal of Statistical Software, 63, . doi: 10.18637/jss.v063.i04
- Munir S; Habeebullah TM; Ropkins K; Seroji AR (2015) Modelling ozone-temperature slope under atypically high temperature in arid climatic conditions of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 15, pp.1281-1290. doi: 10.4209/aaqr.2014.12.0318
- Jephcote C; Ropkins K; Chen H (2014) The effect of socio-environmental mechanisms on deteriorating respiratory health across urban communities during childhood, APPLIED GEOGRAPHY, 51, pp.35-47. doi: 10.1016/j.apgeog.2014.03.003
- Munir S; Chen H; Ropkins K (2014) Characterising the temporal variations of ground-level ozone and its relationship with traffic-related air pollutants in the united kingdom: A quantile regression approach, International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, 9, pp.29-41. doi: 10.2495/SDP-V9-N1-29-41
- Munir S; Ropkins K; Chen H (2013) Analysing the spatial variability of ground-level ozone in the UK using a generalised additive model, International Journal of Environment and Pollution, 53, pp.176-194. doi: 10.1504/IJEP.2013.058815
- Munir S; Chen H; Ropkins K (2013) Quantifying temporal trends in ground level ozone concentration in the UK, Science of the Total Environment, 458-460, pp.217-227. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.04.045
- Wood AG; Mountain LJ; Connors RD; Maher MJ; Ropkins K (2013) Updating Outdated Predictive Accident Models, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 55, pp.54-66. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.02.028
- Connors RD; Maher M; Wood A; Mountain L; Ropkins K (2013) Methodology for fitting and updating predictive accident models with trend, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 56, pp.82-94. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.03.009
- Munir S; Chen H; Ropkins K (2012) Modelling the impact of road traffic on ground level ozone concentration using a quantile regression approach, Atmospheric Environment, 60, pp.283-291. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.06.043
- Ropkins K; Carslaw DC (2012) Openair - data analysis tools for the air quality community, R Journal, 4, pp.20-29.
- Carslaw DC; Ropkins K (2012) Openair - An r package for air quality data analysis, Environmental Modelling and Software, 27-28, pp.52-61. doi: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.09.008
- North R; Cohen J; Wilkins S; Richards M; Hoose N; Polak J; Bell M; Blythe P; Sharif B; Neasham J; Suresh V; Galatioto F; Hill G; Mead I; Jones R; Beresford A; Chen H; Ropkins K; Goodman P; Oates C; Tate J; Ballijepalli N (2009) Field deployments of the environmental monitoring, Traffic Engineering and Control, 50, pp.484-488.
- Daham B; Li H; Andrews GE; Ropkins K; Tate JE; Bell MC (2009) Comparison of real world emissions in urban driving for euro 1-4 vehicles using a PEMS, SAE Technical Papers, . doi: 10.4271/2009-01-0941
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Daham BK; Ropkins K; Bell MC; Tate JE (2009) Impact of Driving Cycles on Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions, Global Warming Potential (GWP) and Fuel Economy for SI Car Real World Driving, International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, 1, pp.1320-1333.
- Ropkins K; Carlsaw DC; Goodman PS; Tate JE (2009) Application of non-linear time-alignment and integration methods to environmental time series, TrAC - Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 28, pp.373-391. doi: 10.1016/j.trac.2008.11.013
- Ropkins K; Li H; Hawley G; Chen H; Tate J; Andrews G; Bell M (2009) Robust surrogate measurement correction using generalised additive model, Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 95, pp.164-169. doi: 10.1016/j.chemolab.2008.10.005
- Ropkins K; Beebe J; Li H; Daham B; Tate J; Bell M; Andrews G (2009) Real-world vehicle exhaust emissions monitoring: review and critical discussion, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 39, pp.79-152. doi: 10.1080/10643380701413377
- Carslaw DC; Ropkins K; Laxen D; Moorcroft S; Marner B; Williams ML (2008) Near-field commercial aircraft contribution to nitrogen oxides by engine, aircraft type, and airline by individual plume sampling, Environmental Science and Technology, 42, pp.1871-1876. doi: 10.1021/es071926a
- Ropkins K; Quinn R; Beebe J; Li H; Daham B; Tate J; Bell M; Andrews G (2007) Real-world comparison of probe vehicle emissions and fuel consumption using diesel and 5% biodiesel (B5) blend, Science of the Total Environment, 376, pp.267-284. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.11.021
- Carslaw DC; Ropkins K; Bell MC (2006) Change-point detection of gaseous and particulate traffic-related pollutants at a roadside location, Environmental Science and Technology, 40, pp.6912-6918. doi: 10.1021/es060543u
- Carslaw DC; Beevers SD; Ropkins K; Bell MC (2006) Detecting and quantifying aircraft and other on-airport contributions to ambient nitrogen oxides in the vicinity of a large international airport, Atmospheric Environment, 40, pp.5424-5434. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.04.062
- Ropkins K; Ferguson A; Beck AJ (2003) Development of Hazard Analysis by Critical Control Points (HACCP) Procedures to Control Organic Chemical Hazards in the Agricultural Production of Raw Food Commodities, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 43, pp.287-316. doi: 10.1080/10408690390826536
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (2003) Using HACCP to control organic chemical hazards in food wholesale, distribution, storage and retail, Trends in Food Science and Technology, 14, pp.374-389. doi: 10.1016/S0924-2244(03)00057-8
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (2002) Controlling organic chemical hazards in food manufacturing: a hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) approach., Die Nahrung, 46, pp.258-269.
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (2002) Application of hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) to organic chemical contaminants in food, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 42, pp.123-149. doi: 10.1080/10408690290825484
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (2000) HACCP in the home: a framework for improving awareness of hygiene and safe food handling with respect to chemical risk, TRENDS IN FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, 11, pp.105-114. doi: 10.1016/S0924-2244(00)00051-0
- Ropkins K; Colvile R (2000) Airborne Pollutants: Current Practices in Air Quality Monitoring Programs, LabPlus International, 14, pp.22-23.
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (2000) Evaluation of Worldwide Approaches to the Use of HACCP to Control Food Safety, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 11, pp.10-21.
- Beck AJ; Ropkins K (1999) The Control of Persistent Organic Chemical Residues in the Human Food Chain Using Hazard Analysis by Critical Control Points (HACCP), Abstracts of papers of the American Chemical Society, pp.pp.0029.
- Munir S; Chen H; Ropkins K (2011) An investigation into the association of ozone with traffic-related air pollutants using a quantile regression approach, 15, pp.21-32. doi: 10.2495/EHR110031
- Munir S; Chen H; Ropkins K (2011) Non-parametric nature of ground-level ozone and its dependence on nitrogen oxides (NOx): A view point of vehicular emissions, 147, pp.93-104. doi: 10.2495/AIR110091
- Daham B; Li H; Andrews GE; Tate J; Ropkins K; Bell M (2010) Driver variability influences on real world emissions at a road junction using a PEMS, . doi: 10.4271/2010-01-1072
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Daham B; Ropkins K; Bell M; Tate J (2008) Comparisons of the exhaust emissions for different generations of SI cars under real world urban driving conditions, . doi: 10.4271/2008-01-0754
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Daham B; Ropkins K; Bell M; Tate J (2007) Study of thermal characteristics, fuel consumption and emissions during cold start using an on-board measuring method for SI car real world urban driving, . doi: 10.4271/2007-01-2065
- Li H; Andrews GE; Daham B; Bell M; Tate J; Ropkins K (2007) Impact of traffic conditions and road geometry on real world urban emissions using a SI car, . doi: 10.4271/2007-01-0308
- Li H; Andrews GE; Daham B; Bell M; Tate J; Ropkins K (2006) Study of the emissions generated at intersections for a SI car under real world urban driving conditions, . doi: 10.4271/2006-01-1080
- Harbach CAJ; Large R; Ropkins K; Jones DG; Di Blasi G (1998) Photolytic Degradation of Piperonyl Butoxide, In: Jones DG (Ed) Piperonyl Butoxide, Academic Press. Florence, Italy, pp.81-104.
- Ropkins K; Taylor AJ (1996) The Isolation of Flavour Compounds from Foods by Enhanced Solvent Extraction Methods, In: Taylor AJ; Mottram DS (Ed) Flavour Science - Recent Developments, Royal Society of Chemistry Press. London, UK, pp.297-301.
- Carslaw DC; Ropkins K; Kent A (2010) Kernel density approach for PM10 exceedance characterisation, .
- Laxen D; Marner B; Carslaw DC; Ropkins K (2007) Analysis of Fast-Response NOx Measurements at Heathrow Airport, .
- Ropkins K; Colvile R (2000) Critical Review of Air Quality Monitoring Technologies for Urban Transport Mangement and Control (UTMC) Systems, .
- Ropkins K; Colvile R (2000) Evaluation of Sensors to Provide Real-Time Air Quality Information for UTMC Systems, .
- Beck AJ; Cooke C; Ropkins K; Sabbah I (1999) Elucidation of the Role of Organic Matter in the Sorption of Organic Chemicals to Soils and the Implications for Compound (Bio)availability as Evident from Potential 'Partition' into the Aqueous Phase, .
- Ropkins K; Beck AJ (1999) Feasibility Study of the Application of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) to the UK Food Chain, .
- Wood AG; Mountain LJ; Connors RD; Maher MJ; Ropkins K (2013) Updating outdated predictive accident models, Accident Analysis and Prevention 55, pp.54-66. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.02.028
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Ropkins K; Tate J; Bell M (2008) Investigation of regulated and non-regulated cold start emissions using a EURO3 SI car as a probe vehicle under real world urban driving conditions, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2008-01-2428
- Ropkins K; Tate JE; Li H; Andrews GE; Hawley G; Bell MC (2008) Chassis dynamometer evaluation of on-board exhaust emission measurement system performance in si car under transient operating conditions, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2008-01-1826
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Daham B; Ropkins K; Bell M; Tate J (2008) Characterization of regulated and unregulated cold start emissions for different real world urban driving cycles using a SI passenger car, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2008-01-1648
- Andrews GE; Ounzain AM; Li H; Bell M; Tate J; Ropkins K (2007) The use of a water/lube oil heat exchanger and enhanced cooling water heating to increase water and lube oil heating rates in passenger cars for reduced fuel consumption and CO
2emissions during cold start, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2007-01-2067
- Li H; Andrews GE; Khan AA; Savvidis D; Daham B; Bell M; Tate J; Ropkins K (2007) Analysis of driving parameters and emissions for real world urban driving cycles using an on-board measurement method for a EURO 2 SI car, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2007-01-2066
- Li H; Andrews GE; Khan AA; Savvidis D; Daham B; Bell MC; Tate JE; Ropkins K (2007) Analysis of Driving Parameters and Emissions for Real World Urban Driving Cycles using an on-board Measurement Method for a EURO 2 SI car, Proceedings of SAE International Meeting pp.862-872.
- Li H; Andrews GE; Zhu G; Daham B; Bell M; Tate J; Ropkins K (2005) Impact of ambient temperatures on exhaust thermal characteristics during cold start for real world SI car urban driving tests, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2005-01-3896
- Daham B; Andrews GE; Li H; Ballesteros R; Bell MC; Tate J; Ropkins K (2005) Application of a portable FTIR for measuring on-road emissions, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2005-01-0676
- Ropkins K; Burnette A; Miller D; Li H (2016) Ways Forward for a Next Generation (Smaller, Lower Cost, Lower Energy Consumption) Portable Emissions Measurement System (PEMS)., 26th CRC Real World Emissions Workshop .
- Burnette A; Ropkins K; Miller D (2016) Next Generation PEMS: Identifying a PM “High Emitter” Using a Multiplexed Sensor Measurement., 2016 PEMS Conference and Workshop No. 6, UCR CE-CERT .
- Ropkins K; Li H; Burrette A (2016) Next Generation (Smaller, Lower Cost, Lower Energy Consumption) PEMS., 2016 PEMS Conference and Workshop No. 6, UCR CE-CERT .
- Ropkins K; Sandhu GS; Burnette A (2015) A Novel Multiplexed Sensor-Based Approach to Mobile Particle Mass and Number Measurement., 25th CRC Real World Emissions Workshop .
- Burnette A; Ropkins K; Sandhu GS (2015) Data Collection in Support of Developing a Novel Multiplexed Sensor-Based Approach to Mobile PM Measurement., 2015 PEMS Conference and Workshop No. 5, UCR CE-CERT .
- Ropkins K; Abdalla A; Hanley SG (2014) New methods for PEMS micro-trip analysis., 24th CRC Real World Emissions Workshop .
- Ropkins K; Abdalla A; Hanley SG (2014) Automating PEMS micro-trip analysis., 2014 PEMS Conference and Workshop No. 4, UCR CE-CERT .
- Ropkins K; Carslaw DC; Munir S; Chen H (2012) R, lattice and RgoogleMaps: A practical framework for the development of new geovisualizations., American Statistical Association (ASA) 2012 Joint Statistical Meeting .
- Ropkins K; Hanley S; Munir S (2012) The R package pems.utils: open-source processing, Visualization and Analysis Tools for Portable Emissions Measurement Systems data., 22nd CRC Real World Emissions Workshop .
- Maher M; Connors R; Ropkins K; Wood A; Mountain L (2012) Fitting and updating predictive accident models including trend, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference of Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies, HKSTS 2012: Transportation and Logistics Management pp.203-210.
- Ropkins K (2011) Measuring Emission Impact Trends In Environmental Data Time-Series, 21th CRC Real World Emissions Workshop .
- Ropkins K; Hodges J; Togwell P (2011) Complementary Monitoring Programmes as part of an Industrial Practice Air Quality Management Plan: Method Selection, Data Analysis and Application, Clean Technologies in the Steel Industries, Second International Conference .
- Ropkins K; Li H; Carslaw DC (2010) Time Alignment of Instantaneous Emissions Data, 20th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emission Workshop .
- Ropkins K; Carslaw DC; Li H (2010) Open-Source Software: The Openair and PEMS ‘R’ Packages, 20th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emission Workshop .
- Ropkins K; Li H; Carslaw DC (2010) Real-World Cold Start Emissions from Vehicles in the UK On-Road Vehicle Fleet, 20th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emission Workshop .
- Tate J; Ropkins K; Goodman PS; Oates C; Chen H; Bell MC; Tomlin AS; Balogun A; Smalley R (2009) The influence of traffic congestion, synoptic and in-street winds on nitrogen dioxide concentrations around a congested intersection: a measurement study, 7th International Conference on Air Quality - Science and Application (Air Quality 2009) .
- Ropkins K (2009) Suggestions for the Visualization, Analysis and Comparison of Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) Data., 19th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emissions Workshop .
- Ropkins K (2008) Real time Mobile Monitoring of Vehicle Emissions., Royal Society of Chemistry Automation and Analytical Management Group ‘Air Analysis – Out of the Laboratory and into the Field’ Conference and Exhibition .
- Tate J; Chen H; Goodman PS; Ropkins K (2008) A highly instrumented junction facility in Leeds (UK) for microscopic datasets, WORKSHOP ON TRAFFIC MODELING: TRAFFIC BEHAVIOR AND SIMULATION .
- Ropkins K; Oates C; Tate JE (2008) Evaluation of a remote sensing 'dirty emitter' measurement., 18th CRC ON-ROAD VEHICLE EMISSIONS WORKSHOP .
- Ropkins K; Tate JE; Li H; Andrews GE; Hawley G; Bell MC (2008) Chassis Dynamometer Evaluation of On board Exhaust Emission Measurement System Performance in SI Car under Transient Operating Conditions., SAE Paper No. 2008-01-1826 .
- Li H; Andrews GE; Savvidis D; Daham B; Ropkins K; Bell MC; Tate JE (2007) Study of thermal characteristics, fuel consumption and emissions during cold start for SI car real world urban driving, 2007 International Fuels and Lubricants Conference, Kyoto, Japan. .
- Li H; Ropkins K; Andrews GE; Daham B; Bell M; Tate J; Hawley G (2006) Evaluation of a FTIR emission measurement system for legislated emissions using a si car, SAE Technical Papers . doi: 10.4271/2006-01-3368
- Andrews GE; Bell MC; Daham B; Li H; Ropkins K; Tate JE (2006) Evaluation of a Wide Area Traffic Management Strategy in the City of Leeds (UK) using a Probe Vehicle equipped with On-board emission monitoring instrumentation, pp.143-150.
- Ropkins K; Bell MC; Tate JE (2006) Introduction to the SRIF Instrumented Junction Project, UTSG Conference, Dublin, 2006. .
- Ropkins K; Bell MC; North R; Noland R; Ochieng WY; Polak J (2003) Real World Vehicle Emissions, EPSRC’s Symposium A Celebration of UK Engineering Research and Innovation. National Exhibition Centre, London, UK. 2004. .
- Ropkins K (1995) Measuring Flavour Generation in Cooked Cereal Model Systems, 1995 Flavour Research Consortium Meeting. Strathclde, Scotland .