Senior Research Fellow
Key Research Interests
- Bus Soft Factors
- Discrete Choice Modelling
- Decision Making
- Public Transport Demand Modelling
- Stated Preference Design
- 1993 - 1996: Research Officer, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1996 - 98: Research Fellow, Transport Studies Unit, Oxford University
- 1998 - present: Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1992 BA Hons in Economics, Heriot Watt University
- 1993 M.A. Transport Economics, the University of Leeds
Research Projects and Experience
- 2007/8DfT Project looking at the valuation and demand impacts of bus soft factors. Project manager with a key role in the SP design and analysis.
- ITS (2007) “Revealed and Stated Preference Study to Assess Impact of Rail Reliability on Rail Demand ”. Report Submitted to DfT.Responsibility for SP Design.
- GRACE (2007) European Project examining how complex road congestion pricing impacts upon car driver behaviour. Responsibility for design of complex congestion pricing experiment and analysis.
- Jacobs and ITS (2006) “Zonal Fares Trial Evaluation”. Report Submitted to DfT.Project Manager.
- Nash, C.A., Mackie, P., Shires, J. and Nellthorp (2004) “The Economic Efficiency Case for Road User Charging”. A Report for the Department for Transport. This was an input into the 'Feasibility Study Of Road Pricing in the UK” (2004). Responsibility for producing paper on marginal social cost pricing.
- Bonsall, P., Shires, J., Matthews, B., Maule, J. and Beale, J. (2004) “Road User Charging – Pricing Structures”. A Report for the Department for Transport. This was an input into the 'Feasibility Study Of Road Pricing in the UK” (2004). Responsibility for design of major cross discipline literature review.
- Shires, J.D. (2004) “Case for Rail in the Conurbations”.Development of a spreadsheet rail forecasting model based on WYPTE rail services for JMP Consultants as part of a consultancy report for the PTEG.
- Whelan, G.A. and Shires, J.D. (2003) “First Area Review Model”.Report for First Group that developed a bus forecasting handbook and model.
- Bristow, A., Whelan, G.A., Shires, J.D. and Mackie, P.J. (2002) “Achieving Best Value for Public Support in the Bus Industry”. A report for CfIT in conjunction with LEK Consultants. Responsibility for developing a GOMMMS type appraisal tool.
- Link H; Nash C; Ricci A; Shires J (2016) A generalized approach for measuring the marginal social costs of road transport in Europe, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 10, pp.105-119. doi: 10.1080/15568318.2013.861044
- Hess S; Shires J; Bonsall P (2013) A latent class approach to dealing with respondent uncertainty in a stated choice survey for fare simplification on bus journeys, Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, 9, pp.473-493. doi: 10.1080/18128602.2011.609190
- Nash CA; Shires JD; Link H (2010) Quantification of marginal social costs of road transport: what are the main components?, Transport and Sustainability, 79, pp.13-38. doi: 10.3790/vjh.79.2.13
- Preston J; Wall G; Batley R; Ibáñez JN; Shires J (2009) Impact of delays on passenger train services: Evidence from Great Britain, Transportation Research Record, pp.14-23. doi: 10.3141/2117-03
- Shires JD; de Jong GC (2009) An international meta-analysis of values of travel time savings, Evaluation and Program Planning, 32, pp.315-325. doi: 10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2009.06.010
- Bonsall P; Shires J (2009) Estimating the robustness of questionnaire results: Lessons from a mixed-mode survey of expectations for tele-working and road-based business travel, Transportation, 36, pp.47-64. doi: 10.1007/s11116-008-9185-5
- Whelan GA; Batley RP; Shires JD; Wardman MR (2008) Optimal Fares Regulation for Britain's Railways, Transportation Research Part E - Logistics and Transportation Review, 44, pp.807-819. doi: 10.1016/j.tre.2007.03.005
- Whelan G; Batley R; Shires J; Wardman M (2008) Optimal fares regulation for Britain's railways, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 44, pp.807-819. doi: 10.1016/j.tre.2007.03.005
- Bonsall P; Shires J; Maule J; Matthews B; Beale J (2007) Responses to complex pricing signals: Theory, evidence and implications for road pricing, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 41, pp.672-683. doi: 10.1016/j.tra.2006.06.001
- Bonsall P; Shires J (2006) Employer expectations for commuting and business-related travel in an environment rich in information and communication technologies, Transportation Research Record, pp.268-276.
- Johnson DH; Shires JD; Nash CA; Tyler J (2006) Forecasting and appraising the impact of a regular interval timetable, Transport Policy, 13, pp.349-366. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2006.01.001
- Paulley N; Balcombe R; Mackett R; Titheridge H; Preston J; Wardman M; Shires J; White P (2006) The demand for public transport: The effects of fares, quality of service, income and car ownership, Transport Policy, 13, pp.295-306. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2005.12.004
- Wardman M; Shires J; Lythgoe W; Tyler J (2004) Consumer benefits and demand impacts of regular train timetables, International Journal of Transport Management, 2, pp.27-37. doi: 10.1016/j.ijtm.2004.04.002
- Shires JD; Nash CA (2000) Ownership and organisation of public transport and infrastructure, Transport Reviews, .
- Wardman MR; Bonsall PW; Shires JD (1997) Driver response to variable message signs: a stated preference investigation, Transportation Research. Part C: Emerging Technologies, 5, pp.389-405.
- Bristow AL; Pearman AD; Shires JD (1997) An assessment of advanced transport telematics evaluation procedures, Transport Reviews, 17, pp.177-205.
- Sansom T; Nash CA; Mackie PJ; Shires JD; Watkiss P (2001) Surface transport costs and charges Great Britain, DETR, pp.126p.
- De Jong GC; Ben-Akiva ME (2010) Transportation and logistics in supply chains, The Handbook of Technology Management, .
- Shires JD; Preston JM (2000) Rail Transport, In: Preston JM (Ed) SORT-IT Research Monograph, SORT-IT Research Monograph.
- Bristow AL; Hodgson FC; Mackie PJ; Shires JD; Preston JM; Raje F; Horvald T (2002) Achieving Best Value for Public Support in the Bus Industry: Review for Inception Phase., .
- Bristow AL; Mackie PJ; Preston JM; Whelan GA; Huang B; Shires JD (2002) Achieving Best Value for Public Support of the Bus Industry: Part 1. Summary Report on the Modelling and Assessment of Seven Corridors., .
- Johnson DH; Mackie P; Shires J (2014) Buses and the Economy II, pp.1-27.
- Muir H; Pfaffenbichler P; Emberger G; Shepherd S; Wagner P; Martin P; Shires J; May A; Levin T (2008) Modelling background report. MARS, microsimulation, cities and scenarios. Deliverable 2.3.1, Sub-Project 2, CityMobil Project (http://www.citymobil-project.eu/), .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD; Ngoduy D; Link H; Becker A; Papaioannou P; Xanthopoulos P (2007) Optimal Complexity of Prices for Transport Infrastructure, .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD; Matthews B; Maule J; Beale JR (2004) Road User Charging - Pricing Structures, .
- Nash CA; Matthews B; Shires JD (2004) The EU Transport Policy White Paper: An assessment of progress, .
- Balcombe R; Mackett R; Paulley N; Preston JM; Shires JD; Titheridge H; Wardman MR; White P (2004) The Demand for Public Transport: A Practical Guide, .
- Bristow AL; Shires JD (2001) A Review of the Values of Time, Elasticities of Demand and Other Parameter Values for Use in the Quality Bus Partnership Model, .
- Shires JD (2000) Factors Affecting Road Freight Haulage , .
- Shires JD (2000) Quality Bus Partnerships and Market Structure: Phase 1 Report, .
- Beaumont HC; Preston JM; Shires JD (1996) Strategic organisation and regulation in transport - inter urban travel. Summary of country reports, .
- Marsden G; Shires J; Ferreira A; Philips I; Cass N (2014) Resilience and adaptation: an activity systems approach, Universities' Transport Study Group, Archives .
- Hess S; Shires J; Jopson A (2013) Accommodating underlying pro-environmental attitudes in a rail travel context: Application of a latent variable latent class specification, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 25, pp.42-48. doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2013.07.003
- Hess S; Marsden G; Shires J; Jopson A; Muir H (2010) Analysing Rail Travellers' Desire for Reducing Carbon Emissions from Personal Travel, 89th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD (2005) Methodological Issues in the Use of Questionnaire Data to Analyse Travel Behaviour in an ICT-Rich Environment, European Transport Conference, Strasbourg, October 2005 .
- Wardman MR; Shires JD (2004) Review of Fares Elasticities in Great Britain, 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul, 4-8 July 2004 .
- Shires JD; Nash CA; Tyler J (2004) Forecasting and Appraising the Impact of a Regular Interval Timetable, European Transport Conference .
- Laird JJ; Marsden G; Shires JD (2014) Evaluating transport and land use policies under disruption, Universities' Transport Study Group, Archives .
- Clarke A; Laird JJ; Shires JD (2014) Cycle to Work scheme - Weekend Warriors or Daily Commuters., Scottish Transport Applications and Research .
- Bristow AL; Wardman M; Shires JD; Chintakayala VPK; Nellthorp J (2012) The value of access to urban quiet areas relative to other local environmental factors, 41st International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering 2012, INTER-NOISE 2012 2, pp.1726-1733.
- Bristow AL; Wardman M; Shires J; Gühnemann A; Tight M (2011) Do the costs of aircraft noise nuisance change over time? A repeat study, 40th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering 2011, INTER-NOISE 2011 4, pp.3661-3667.
- Hess S; Shires JD; Bonsall PW (2010) Treatment of Respondent Uncertainty in Stated-Choice Survey for Fare Simplification on Bus Journeys, Transportation Research Board 89th Meeting .
- Bonsall P; Shires JA; Hess S (2009) The value of simplicity: an investigation of travellers’ response to simplified fare structures, 12th International Conference on Travel Behaviour Research, Jaipur. .
- Batley R; Dargay JM; Ibanez JN; Wardman MR; Shires JD (2008) An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Reliability on Passenger Rail Demand, European Transport Conference Proceedings 2008 .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD (2008) Innovative Data Collection for Modeling Employee Commuting & Business Travel, 8th International Conference on Survey Methods in Transport .
- Fiorello D; Martino A; Bonsall P; Shires J; Ngoduy D (2008) Differentiated road tolls: evidence from modelling studies in Italy and the UK, European Transport Conference .
- Batley RP; Ibanez JN; Wardman MR; Shires JD; Whelan GA (2007) A discrete choice study to assess the impact of reliability on passenger rail demand, European Transport Conference 2007, 17 - 19 October, Leiden, The Netherlands .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD; Link H; Becker A; Papaioannou P; Xanthopoulos P (2007) Complex charging in Germany and the UK - An assessment of Motorists’ comprehension and the impact on their driving behaviour., European Transport Conference, Noordwijkerhout, October 2007 .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD (2006) Innovative Data Collection for Modelling of Employee Commuting and Business Travel, Annual Conference of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, January 2006 .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD (2005) Can People Respond to Complex Pricing Signals?, European Transport Conference, Strasbourg, October 2005 .
- Bonsall PW; Shires JD (2005) Can people respond to complex pricing signals?, Proceedings of PIARC seminar on Road Pricing, Financing, Regulation and Equity .
- Wardman MR; Nash CA; Shires JD; Johnson DH; Lythgoe WL; Tyler J (2004) Appraising the Benefits of Regular Train Timetables, 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul, 4-8 July 2004 .
- Paulley N; Balcombe R; Mackett R; Preston JM; Titheridge H; Shires JD; Wardman MR; White P (2004) The Demand for Public Transport, 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul,4-8 July 2004 13, .
- Wardman MR; Shires JD; Lythgoe WF; Tyler J (2003) The Benefits and Demand Impacts of Regular Train Timetables, AET European Transport Conference .
- Wardman MR; Shires JD (2001) Comparison of within mode revealed preference and stated preference choice methods, AET European Transport Conference 2001 .
- Bristow AL; Shires JD; Mackie PJ (2001) Quality bus partnerships: new evidence on performance, World Conference on Transport Research, Seoul, Korea .
- Nash CA; Shires JD (2000) Benchmarking of European railways - an assessment of current data and recommended indicators, Transport Benchmarking. Methodologies, Applications and Data Needs. OECD, Paris pp.119-136.
- Palmer IA; Bonsall PW; Shires JD (1998) Driver response guidance: a comparison of data from a route-choice simulator and a self-completion stated preference exercise, Proceedings 26th European Transport Forum, held at Loughborough University, September London, PTRC Education and Research Services Ltd. Seminar D, Transportation Planning Methods I, pp.97-112.
- Shires JD (2003) The Impact of Policy Drivers on the Logistics Supply, Working Paper 580, .
- Shires JD; Johnson DH (2003) Appraisal Framework for Integrated Transport, Working Paper 578, .
- Wardman MR; Shires JD (2001) Intertemporal variations in the Value of Time, Working Paper 566, .
- Wardman MR; Bonsall PW; Shires JD (1996) Stated Preference analysis of driver route choice reaction to variable message sign information, Working Paper 475, .
- Shires JD; Palmer IA (1996) Comparison of SP and route choice simulators as a source of data on driver route choice, 455, .
- Shires JD; Preston JM; Nash CA; Wardman MR (1994) Rail privatisation: the practice: An analysis of seven national case studies, Working Paper 420, .
- Shires JD; Preston JM; Nash CA; Wardman MR (1994) Rail privatisation: the economic theory, Working Paper 419, .
- Preston JM; Shires JD; Garlick M; Hodgson FC; Nash CA (1994) European railway comparisons: final report, Working Paper 418, .