Senior Research Fellow
Key Research Interests
- Mobilities, social networks and sociality
- Gender, inequalities and exclusions
- Methodology: mobility histories, diaries, biographies; communicative practices; multi-sensory methods and simulated environments and modelling mobilities
- 1989 – 1992 Research Assistant, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1992 – 1998 Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1998 - current Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- BA Hons., (Sociology), Leeds, 1989
- MSc Eng., (Transport Planning and Engineering), Leeds, 1993
- Executive Board member: Leeds Social Science Institute (06-present)
- Executive Board member Real Life Methods node of the National Centre for Research Methods (06-07)
- Board member of Education, Social Science and Law Faculty of the University of Leeds, Research Strategy Board (2004-present)
Research Projects and Experience
A sociologist by training Ms Hodgson has also completed an MSc in Transport Planning and Engineering. Frances provides research leadership to the Social Aspects of transport research theme at ITS, having acted as Director/grant holder or project manager for research funds in excess of £1M within the last 8 years. Her research has been conducted at both national and international level through UK research council and EU funding. Her most recent grants include funding from the Economic and Social Research Council, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and the Equal Opportunities Commission.
She is a joint grantholder and manager of the Connected Lives project, an ESRC funded project of the National Centre from Research Methods. She has also been a grantholder of a seminar series funded by the ESRC to develop a social science understanding of transport impacts; the manager and co-author of a project funded by EPSRC adopting a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding pedestrian accessibilities. She is responsible for investigating cultural attitudes to walking and joint grant-holder of an Equal Opportunities Commission project designed to look at gender disadvantage in transport. Her past work has included a DETR project on social exclusion managed by Imperial College and Mott McDonald, three pedestrian safety projects funded by DfT and EU, input to the qualitative aspects of a project assessing the proposed move of Liverpool Football Club, an assessment of Kirklees Council's TDM project focussed on Council workers and providing the evaluation expertise of the EU funded TARGET project, an EU funded project aimed at developing TDM measures throughout the Yorkshire and Humberside region to encourage sustainable land use patterns. In addition she has worked on two EPSRC funded projects aimed at evaluating attitudes to TDM. Over the past 16 years, she has specialised in developing a social science understanding of the equity and other impacts associated with transport.
- Module leader of 'Transport and Society' 2nd year UG elective module (04-present)
- Module leader of 'Social Research Methods for Transport' Masters level elective module (07-present)
- Previously taught on MRes in the Built Environment and the Marketing Transport (short course) in Qualitative research methods
- PhD supervision, topic: 'Why walk '. (07-present)
- Barnard Y; Bradley MD; Hodgson F; Lloyd AD (2013) Learning to use new technologies by older adults: Perceived difficulties, experimentation behaviour and usability, Computers in Human Behavior, 29, pp.1715-1724. doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2013.02.006
- Hodgson F (2012) Everyday connectivity: Equity, technologies, competencies and walking, Journal of Transport Geography, 21, pp.17-23. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2011.11.001
- Hodgson F (2012) Escorting economies: Networked journeys, household strategies and resistance, Research in Transportation Economics, 34, pp.3-10. doi: 10.1016/j.retrec.2011.12.010
- Perez MR; Hodgson F (2011) Featured graphic: Travelling to work: The differing employment geographies of households in neighbourhoods of low and high deprivation in north and south tyneside, Environment and Planning A, 43, pp.2779-2780. doi: 10.1068/a44295
- Kelly CE; Tight MR; Hodgson FC; Page MW (2011) A comparison of three methods for assessing the walkability of the pedestrian environment, Journal of Transport Geography, 19, pp.1500-1508. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2010.08.001
- Hodgson FC; Turner J (2003) Participation not consumption: The need for new participatory practices to address transport and social exclusion, Transport Policy, 10, pp.265-272. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2003.08.001
- Turner J; Holmes L; Hodgson FC; Clarke M (2000) Intelligent urban development - an introductory to a participatory approach, Urban Studies, .
- May AD; Hodgson FC; Jopson A; Milne DS; Tight MR (2000) A comparison of four travel demand management measures, Traffic Engineering & Control, 41(10), pp.396-401.
- Hodgson FC; Tight MR (1999) Raising awareness of transport issues: the potential to bring about behavioural change?, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 6, pp.281-292.
- Hodgson FC; May AD; Tight MR; Conner M (1998) Evaluation of the MIST travel awareness campaign. The before and after study, Traffic Engineering & Control, 39, pp.103-112.
- Hodgson FC; May AD; Tight MR; Conner M (1997) Evaluation of the MIST travel awareness campaign . Public perceptions on transport and the growth in car use., Traffic Engineering & Control, 38(12), pp.655-659.
- Hodgson FC (2016) Structures of Disadvantage and Acts of Resistance: Remembering, Skilling, History and Gender, In: Divall C; Hine J; Pooley C (Ed) Transport Policy Learning Lessons from History, Transport and Society, Lund Humphries Publishers.
- Hodgson F (2012) Structures of encounterability: Space, place, paths and identities, Mobilities: New Perspectives on Transport and Society, pp.41-64.
- Barnard YF; Hodgson F; Bradley M; Lloyd AD (2012) Exploring the acceptance of mobile technologies using walking interviews, In: de Waard D; Merat N; Jamson AH; Barnard YF; Carsten OMJ (Ed) Human Factors of Systems and Technology, Maastricht, Shaker Publishing, pp.91-102.
- Bristow AL; Hodgson FC; Mackie PJ; Shires JD; Preston JM; Raje F; Horvald T (2002) Achieving Best Value for Public Support in the Bus Industry: Review for Inception Phase., .
- Hodgson FC (1999) Comparative study of European child pedestrian exposure and accidents, .
- Hodgson FC (1999) Report on an evaluation of the OECD Road Transport Linkages and Intermodal Linkages Reserch Programme, .
- Carsten OMJ; Hodgson FC (1994) Pedstrian behaviour and pedestrian signal design., .
- Hodgson FC (1994) Rule Specification for Pedestrian Interactions and Conflicts, .
- Tight MR; Kelly CE; Hodgson FC; Page M (2004) Improving Pedestrian Accessibility and Quality of Life, .
- Turner J; Hodgson FC; Porter G; Maudesley E; McCann G (2011) Changing the game for Africa’s infrastructure: what role does South-South cooperation play in addressing Africa’s infrastructure gap and under what terms?, European Centres for African Studies conferences .
- Hodgson FC; Barnard Y; Bradley M; Lloyd A (2011) Exploring the acceptance of mobile technologies using walking interviews, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society- European Chapter .
- Hodgson FC; Barnard Y; Bradley M; Merat N; Lloyd A (2011) Acceptance of technologies supporting driving and walking, by people over 65 years old who do not normally use digital technologies., Second International Workshop on Acceptance of Technological and Organisational changes in Transport .
- Kelly CE; Tight MR; Page M; Hodgson FC (2007) Techniques for assessing the walkability of the pedestrian environment, Walk21 .
- Tight MR; Milne DS; May AD; Hodgson FC; Gerrard W; Conner M (2003) Effectiveness of transport demand strategies when applied to historic cities, Proceedings of the 9th World Conference on Transport Research .
- Wardman MR; Bristow AL; Hodgson FC (1998) Noise and Air Quality Valuations: Evidence from Stated Preference Residential and Business Choice Models, 8th World Conference on Transport Research, Antwerp .
- Wardman MR; Bristow AL; Hodgson FC (1997) Valuations of noise, air quality and accessibility: evidence for households and businesses, PTRC European Transport Forum, Brunel P413, pp.451-464.
- Hodgson FC (1994) Pedestrian safety and pedestrian crossing strategies, 26th Annual Conference of the Universities Transport Study Group .
- Hodgson FC (1993) Adaptive traffic signals for pedestrian safety, Road Safety Symposium .
- Poslad S; Wang Z; Groenewolt B; Koolwaaij J; Hodgson F; Grant-Muller SM; Thomopoulos N; Carlson R; Schaefer C; Hjalmarsson A; Luther M (2015) ‘Preliminary User, System Requirements Review and Specification', .
- Grant-Muller SM; Thomopoulos N; Carlson R; Kusumastuiti D; Klok E; Hjalmarsson A; Hodgson F; Veenstra S (2013) ‘Evaluation methodology and measurement approach’, .
- Hodgson F; Grant-Muller SM; Dethmers VI (2011) ‘Transport innovation: SUNSET as a platform for people centred mobility’, EG Magazine, pp.1-3.
- Da Costa P; Hodgson FC; Seco A; Sherborne DJ (1996) Assessment of the effectiveness of the Portuguese implementation by VRU-TOO (Vulnerable Road-User Traffic Observation and Optimisation), Working Paper 440, .
- Hodgson FC; Pyne H; Carsten OMJ (1995) Safety Evaluation of dynamic route guidance systems: study on the Leeds Advanced Driving Simulator, 36, .
- Hodgson FC (1995) Assessment of effectiveness of the English implementation, Working Paper 441, .
- Hodgson FC (1995) Micro-level behavioural and conflict changes in the VRU-TOO pilot projects, Working Paper 438, .
- Tillis T; Hodgson FC; Sherbourne DJ (1994) Assessment of the effectiveness of the Greek implementation by VRU-TOO (Vulnerable Road-User Traffic Observation and Optimisation), Working Paper 442, .
- Preston JM; Shires JD; Garlick M; Hodgson FC; Nash CA (1994) European railway comparisons: final report, Working Paper 418, .