Senior Research Fellow
Key Research Interests
- Transport Economics
- Freight and Passenger Demand Modelling
- Stated Preference design and application
- Nov 01 - Present Research Officer/Fellow/Senior Research Fellow: Institute for Transport Studies.
- Oct 98 - Nov 01 Labour Market Analyst: Careers Services Unit (CSU).
- Jun 93 - Aug 95 Research Assistant: Department of Economics, Hull University.
- Oct 92 - Jun 94 Economics Tutor: University of Humberside
- Hull University: BSc Economics (2:1)
- Essex University: MA Economics
- York University: MPhil (Economics) entitled Lifetime Earnings and the Demand for Post-Compulsory Education.
Research Projects and Experience
- Working on 'Buses and the Economy' project with DfT and Greener Journeys, examining at the link between bus provision, the labour market and productivity.
- Working on SUSTRAIL, an EU project, evaluating the impact of rail vehicle and infrastructure improvements
- Worked on EPSRC's Sustainable Distribution project, developing a strategic freight model (LEFT) to test the impacts of various policy scenarios on costs and volumes of different modes.
- Design and analysis of Freight part of Department for Transport's M6 Toll Project
- Estimated regional productivity measures for use in appraisal of transport projects for Department for Transport
- Worked on the valuation of rail scarcity for the Office of Rail Regulation
- Developed a computer based implementation of aspects of the (Rail) Passenger Demand Forecasting Handbook.
- Worked on the development of the passenger rail forecasting model PRAISE
- Member of European Transport Conference Freight and Logistics Programme Committee (2008)
- Taught on Freight modules and Stated Preference short courses
- Supervised PhD, Masters and Undergraduate dissertations
Module leader on:
TRAN5180M: Public Transport Planning and Management
TRAN3031: Public Transport Policy and Practice
- Liang XH; Tan KH; Whiteing A; Nash C; Johnson D (2016) Parcels and mail by high speed rail-A comparative analysis of Germany, France and China, Journal of Rail Transport Planning and Management, . doi: 10.1016/j.jrtpm.2016.04.003
- Johnson D; Hess S; Matthews B (2014) Understanding air travellers' trade-offs between connecting flights and surface access characteristics, Journal of Air Transport Management, 34, pp.70-77. doi: 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2013.08.001
- Johnson DH; Jackson J; Nash C (2013) The wider value of rural rail provision, Transport Policy, 29, pp.126-135. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2013.04.007
- Johnson DH; Nash CA (2012) Competition and the Provision of Rail Passenger Services: A simulation exercise, Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management, 2, pp.14-22. doi: 10.1016/j.jrtpm.2012.09.001
- Jackson J; Johnson DH; Nash C (2012) On the Willingness to Pay for Rural Rail Service Level Changes, Research in Transportation Business & Management, 4, pp.104-113. doi: 10.1016/j.rtbm.2012.06.006
- Johnson D; Matthews B; Hess S; Bielefeldt C (2011) An indirect flight from my local airport or a direct flight from an alternative airport: how does surface access influence the decision?, European Transport Conference, Glasgow, October 2011., .
- Matthews B; Evangelinos C; Johnson DH; Meunier D (2009) Impacts and incentives of differentiated rail infrastructure charges in Europe - focus on freight, European Transport - Trasporti Europei, 2009, pp.83-112.
- Johnson DH; Nash CA (2008) Charging for Scarce Rail Capacity in Britain: A Case Study, The Review of Network Economics, 7, pp.53-76. doi: 10.2202/1446-9022.1138
- Johnson DH; Shires JD; Nash CA; Tyler J (2006) Forecasting and appraising the impact of a regular interval timetable, Transport Policy, 13, pp.349-366. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2006.01.001
- Whelan GA; Johnson DH (2004) Modelling the Impact of Alternative Fares Structures on Rail Overcrowding, International Journal of Transport Management, 2, pp.39-46. doi: 10.1016/j.ijtm.2004.04.004
- Johnson DH (2002) Lifetime earnings, discount rate, ability and the demand for post-compulsory education in men in England and Wales, Bulletin of Economic Research, 54, pp.223-247. doi: 10.1111/1467-8586.00151
- Johnson DH (1997) Occupational advantage in the eighties: an analysis of the lifetime earnings of men, Work, Employment & Society, 11, pp.401-411.
- Johnson DH; Mackie P; Shires J (2014) Buses and the Economy II, pp.1-27.
- Rydzkowski W; Hajdul M; Bonsall PW; Martino A; Chiffi C; Enei R; Wilmsmeier G; Ksiazkiewicz D; Lythgoe WF; Johnson D (2008) Potential Effects of Differentiated User Charges on Intermodal Chains and Modal Change, .
- Johnson D; Dargay J; Reilly K (2008) Real Regional Productivity Differentials for Use in Transport Appraisal, .
- Johnson DH; Whiteing AE; Fowkes AS (2005) LEFT2 - A Strategic Freight Transport Model for Great Britain, European Transport Conference, Strasbourg .
- Johnson DH; Whelan GA (2003) Modelling the impact of alternative fare structures on train overcrowding, European Transport Conference 2003 2, pp.51-58. doi: 10.1016/j.ijtm.2004.04.004
- Laird JJ; Johnson DH; Corso M; Tucta I (2013) Option and Non-Use Values in Bus Networks, 9th Annual Scottish Transport Applications and Research (STAR) .
- Johnson DH; De Jong G (2011) Heterogeneous response to transport cost and time and model specification in freight mode and shipment size choice, Choice Modelling .
- Johnson D; Fowkes AS; Whiteing AE; Maurer H; Shen S (2008) Emissions Modelling with a Simple Transport Model, European Transport Conference 2008 .
- Whiteing AE; Johnson DH; Wright C; Garratt M (2007) Modelling Freight Flows on the Betuwe Line , Second International Conference on Funding Transportation Infrastructure, Leuven (Belgium), September 20-21, 2007. .
- Fowkes AS; Johnson DH; Hyman G; Fisher D; Ibanez JN (2007) Results from the UK Department for Transport’s 2006 M6 Toll Research Project Freight Study, ETC 2007 .
- Johnson DH; Whiteing AE; Fowkes AS (2007) LEFT: The Right Approach to Aggregate Strategic Freight Transport Modelling?, UTSG 2007 .
- Johnson DH; Nash CA (2005) Charging for Scarce Capacity: A Case Study of Britain's East Coast Main Line, Third Rail Conference on Railroad Industry Structure, Competition and Investment .
- Wardman MR; Nash CA; Shires JD; Johnson DH; Lythgoe WL; Tyler J (2004) Appraising the Benefits of Regular Train Timetables, 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul, 4-8 July 2004 .
- Johnson DH; Shires JD; Nash CA; Tyler J (2004) Forecasting and Appraising the Impact of a Regular Interval Timetable, European Transport Conference .
- Whelan GA; Johnson DH (2003) Modelling the Impact of Alternative Fares Structures, First Conference on Railroad Industry Structure, Competition and Investment, Toulouse France, 7-8 November 2003 .