Dr Ann Jopson
- Understanding travel behaviour through Social Psychology,
- Social aspects of transport, e.g., accessibility or older peoples' travel,
- Active travel,
- GIS transport applications,
- Climate and Energy.
- ITS Undergraduate Education Development Coordinator
- See http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/geography-with-transport-planning/ for details of our BA in Geography with Transport Planning (Geography with Transport Studies from 2016).
- GIS and visualisation lead.
Professional Membership & Activities
- Member of The British Psychological Society Division for Teachers & Researchers in Psychology
- Invited speaker at UK conferences on Travel Plans and Car Sharing, and World Conference on Transport Research session chair.
- Reviewing for journal papers, international conference paper selection, and grant proposals; and member of the editorial team for journal special issues.
- Organising international seminars.
This page is being updated.
I have a PostGraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and am currently ITS Undergraduate Education Development Coordinator, with specific responsibility for BA Geography with Transport Planning http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/geography-with-transport-planning/.
- Module leader: Case Studies in Sustainable Transport (Undergraduate, Level 3).
- Responsibility for active travel, accessibility planning and GIS related content across a number of Undergraduate and Postgraduate modules.
- Has previously developed and lead profressional development short course.
Masters dissertation supervision. Recent examples:
- Framework for Monitoring and Evaluating Cycling in Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans in Slovenia (Lea Ruzic).
- Car dependency in Western Australia: what role do workplace (destination) factors play in commuter mode choice? (Catherine Wallace).
- Assessing Nicosia's (Cyprus) Car Dependency and Potential Solutions (Irineos Livadiotes).
- Social Status Reasons behind Car Addicts in Jakarta (Ayu Kharisza).
I am happy to consider supervising projects in a range of areas relating to understanding travel behaviour (in the context of Climate and Energy concerns); active travel; and applied Social Psychology methods.
Current and recent PhDs:
- James Musgrave: Promoting Travel Behaviour Change of Attendees at Sport Venues - An Extended Transtheoretical Approach. Key words: travel behaviour change, transtheoretical model, theory of planned behaviour. (Lead supervisor).
- Stephen Parkes: The Longevity of Behaviour Change: A Case Study of the London 2012 Olympic and PAralympic Games. Key words: travel behaviour change, disruption, transtheoretical model. (Co-supervisor).
- Magda Rosario Cepeda Zorrilla: Road User's Perception and Attitudes as a Barrier Against Cycling in Cities: A comparative analysis. Key words: Cycliing, Theory of Planned Behaviour, Social Comparison Theory, Material Possessions Model. (Co-supervisor).
- Julian Burkinshaw: Commuting and the Role of Working Practices. Key words: travel behaviour change, demand, Social Practice. (Co-supervisor).
- Martin Revas Perez: The Dynamics of Access: a study of social exclusion, job opportunities, travel mobilities and developing the Gateshead MetroCentre. Keywords: Accessibility, Exclusion, Mobility, GIS. (Internal examiner).
- Mullen C; Tight M; Whiteing A; Jopson A (2014) Knowing their place on the roads: What would equality mean for walking and cycling?, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 61, pp.238-248. doi: 10.1016/j.tra.2014.01.009
- Hess S; Shires J; Jopson A (2013) Accommodating underlying pro-environmental attitudes in a rail travel context: application of a latent variable latent class specification, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 25, pp.42-48. doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2013.07.003
- Pooley CG; Horton D; Scheldeman G; Mullen C; Jones T; Tight M; Jopson A; Chisholm A (2013) Policies for promoting walking and cycling in England: A view from the street, Transport Policy, 27, pp.66-72. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2013.01.003
- Jones T; Pooley CG; Scheldeman G; Horton D; Tight M; Mullen C; Jopson A; Whiteing A (2012) Moving around the city: Discourses on walking and cycling in english urban areas, Environment and Planning A, 44, pp.1407-1424. doi: 10.1068/a44387
- May AD; Kelly C; Shepherd S; Jopson A (2012) An option generation tool for potential urban transport policy packages, Transport Policy, 20, pp.162-173. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2012.01.012
- Batool Z; Carsten O; Jopson A (2012) Road safety issues in Pakistan: A case study of Lahore, Transportation Planning and Technology, 35, pp.31-48. doi: 10.1080/03081060.2012.635415
- Pooley CG; Horton D; Scheldeman G; Tight M; Jones T; Chisholm A; Harwatt H; Jopson A (2011) Household decision-making for everyday travel: A case study of walking and cycling in Lancaster (UK), Journal of Transport Geography, 19, pp.1601-1607. doi: 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2011.03.010
- Marsden G; Cattan M; Jopson A; Woodward J (2010) Do transport planning tools reflect the needs of the older traveller?, Quality in Ageing, 11, pp.16-24. doi: 10.5042/qiaoa.2010.0152
- Cattan M; Marsden G; Jopson A; Woodward J (2009) Will anyone listen to me? - the older traveller and transport planning, Access by Design, -, pp.31-36.
- Kelly C; May AD; Jopson A (2008) The development of an option generation tool to identify potential transport policy packages, Transport Policy, 15, pp.361-371. doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2008.12.008
- Marsden G; Cattan M; Jopson A (2008) Understanding The Older Traveller - Talking Not Technology, Working With Older People, 12, pp.12-15.
- Marsden G; Cattan M; Jopson A; Woodward J (2008) Understanding the older traveller: stop, look and listen!, Working with Older People, 12, pp.12-15. doi: 10.1108/13663666200800024
- May AD; Jopson AF; Matthews B (2003) Research challenges in urban transport policy, Transport Policy, 10, pp.157-164. doi: 10.1016/S0967-070X(03)00039-8
- Gerrard B; Still B; Jopson A (2001) The impact of road pricing and workplace parking levies on the urban economy: Results from a survey of business attitudes, Environment and Planning A, 33, pp.1985-2002. doi: 10.1068/a3412
- May AD; Hodgson FC; Jopson A; Milne DS; Tight MR (2000) A comparison of four travel demand management measures, Traffic Engineering & Control, 41(10), pp.396-401.
- Pooley CG; Jones T; Tight M; Horton D; Scheldeman G; Mullen CA; Jopson A; Strano E (2013) Promoting walking and cycling: new perspectives on sustainable travel, Policy Press.
- Pooley CG; Horton D; Scheldeman G; Tight M; Harwatt H; Jopson A; Jones T; Chisholm A; Mullen C (2012) Can increased walking and cycling really contribute to the reduction of transport-related carbon emissions?, In: Ryley T; Chapman L (Ed) Transport and Climate Change, Emerald.
- Jopson A (2007) A Land-Use - Transport Vision, In: Marshall; Banister (Ed) Land-Use and Transport Planning: European Perspectives on Integrated Policies, .
- Jopson A (In press) Behaviour and Attitudes to Transport - Policy Instruments to Achieve Sustainable Passenger Transport Choices, .
- Fowkes T; Jopson A; May T; Mackie P; Matthews B; Nellthorp J; Page M; Sansom T; Shepherd S (2000) Assessing the impact of local transport policy instruments, pp.1-87.
- Still B; Jopson A (2000) Business Attitudes to Demand Management Policies: survey design, implementation and results,, .
- Hess S; Shires J; Jopson A (2013) Accommodating underlying pro-environmental attitudes in a rail travel context: Application of a latent variable latent class specification, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 25, pp.42-48. doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2013.07.003
- Hess S; Marsden G; Shires J; Jopson A; Muir H (2010) Analysing rail travellers' desire for reducing carbon emissions from personal travel, Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting .
- Marsden G; Kimble M; Jopson A; Harwatt H; King S (2009) What does the public want to know about climate change and what difference does it make?, .
- Marsden G; Jopson A; Harwatt H; Kimble M (2009) Better Informed, Better Behaved? Public Attitudes to Climate Change and Transport: Empirical Findings from England, .
- Jopson A; Marsden G; Envall P (2007) Using transport planning to tackle social exclusion, World Conference on Transport Research Society, Selected Proceedings .
- Marsden G; Jopson A; Cattan M; Woodward J (2007) Transport and older people: integrating transport planning tools with user needs, World Conference on Transport Research Society, Selected Proceedings .
- Jopson A (2004) The Role of Norms in Mode Choice, Proceedings of International Conference on Traffic and Transport Psychology, Nottingham, UK .
- Jopson A (2004) Assessing New Transport Policy Instruments, Proceedings of 10th WCTR, Istanbul, July 2004 .
- Jones T; Chisholm A; Harwatt H; Horton D; Jopson A; Pooley C; Scheldemann G; Tight MR (2009) Understanding walking and cycling: a multi-method approach to investigating household decision-making in relation to short journeys in urban areas., Proceedings of Cycling and Society Research Group seminar, Sept 2009 .
- May AD; Jopson A; Gawthorpe SL; Kelly CE; Cook A; Tanner G (2007) Option generation tools for sustainable urban transport strategies, WCTR 2007 .
- Jopson A; Page M; Menaz B (2007) Appraisal and Decision Making for Small Sustainable Urban Transport Measures, World Conference of Transport Research .
- Jopson A (2004) Can Pyschology Help to Reduce Car Use Revisited, Proceedings of UTSG Conference, Newcastle 2004 .
- Jopson A; May AD; Matthews B (2004) Facilitating evidence based decision-making - the development and use of an on-line knowledgebase on sustainable land-use and transport, Proceedings of 10th World Conference on Transport Research, Istanbul .
- May AD; Jopson A; Matthews B (2002) KonSULT: concept and development, Proceedings of WCTR Special Interest Group 10, Urban Transport Policy Instruments, 1st Annual Conference, Leeds, July 2002. .
- Jopson A (2002) Predicting response to an individualised mobility management strategy, Proceedings of 9th European Working Group on Transportation, Bari, Italy, June 2002. pp.454-458.
- Matthews B; Jopson A; May AD (2002) Developing a method for the assessment of evidence on the impacts of transport policy instruments, 29th European Transport Conference, Homerton College, Cambridge, September 2002. .
- Still BG; Jopson A; Gerrard W (2000) The impact of road pricing and workplace parking levies on the urban economy: results from a survey of firms, Proceedings of European Transport Conference, Cambridge 2000 .
- Jopson A (2000) Can psychology help to reduce car use?, Proceedings of UTSG Conference, Liverpool 2000 .
- Jopson A (1999) Reducing car use: the role of the theory of planned behaviour?, Paper presented at 31st Annual Conference of the Universities Transport Studies Group, held at University of York, January 1999. (Unpublished). .
- Jopson A (2006) Third Annual Thematic Research Summary - Environmental Aspects, Extr@web Deliverable D2.E-3.4, Issue 1.0., .
- Still BG; Jopson A (2000) Business attitudes to demand management policies: Survey design, implementation and results Historic cities Task 4, Working Paper 538, .